Content and Production Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Currently, all employees are working remotely except for select roles that have an in office requirement. We value the health and safety of our people above all else, and our office re-openings will remain
contingent on the course of the COVID variants and federal, state and local safety guidelines and
recommendations. As we look forward, the majority of our employees will have flexibility that allows them to choose a predominantly remote, predominantly in-office, or hybrid setup.
Our official in-office locations in the United States includes LA, NYC, Stamford, and Chicago, and we have several other states in which employees may work remotely if their role isn't one that requires them to be in or near the office.
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Our global Legal and Business Affairs department believes in the promise and power of teamwork. When we work together as a cohesive unit – supporting, involving, appreciating and respecting each other – we can elevate our company, our clients, and ourselves. At A E Networks, we have built and developed a culture based on the principles of effective communication, collaboration, accountability and trust. These guiding principles serve as our north star as we partner and strategize with other departments across the Company to help A E Networks achieve its goals and stay at the forefront of a highly competitive, rapidly changing industry. If you share these values and want to learn more about who we are and what we do, consider joining our team.
THE ROLE: Content and Production Counsel
Position is responsible for providing legal counsel in the areas of pre-broadcast/pre-publication review; intellectual property; First Amendment; causes of action common in entertainment and media industry cases, including defamation, privacy and false light; to perform legal analysis, risk assessment, issue spotting, and ongoing support of studio and network productions. Position reports to and supports Vice President, Content and Production, as part of Legal & Business Affairs' Legal Risk and IP group.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Pre-Broadcast and Production Counseling:
-Support Content and Risk team in advising network and studio executives on legal risk and viability of program concepts, program content and marketing campaigns, working closely with creative teams to find solutions to legal and other impediments.
Production Risk Management:
-Work closely with third-party production companies and vendors to manage all areas of production risk, including COVID and safety guidelines; review and manage all casting diligence; help manage insurance claims and resolve coverage issues.
IP and Litigation Advice and Support:
-Provide support to Intellectual Property and Litigation teams with legal analysis, claims assessments and practical support in all areas, including enforcement of IP rights and defense claims.
General Legal Advice:
-Analyze legal and other risk factors and counsel clients in connection with longer-range projects and urgent and emergency matters where legal, reputational, or safety and security risks need to be evaluated.
• 3 - 5 years of legal practice desirable; minimum 2 years relevant law firm experience or 2 years' experience in media company legal department; in-house media law practice highly desirable.
• Attorney with experience in pre-broadcast/pre-publication review; intellectual property; First Amendment; causes of action common in entertainment and media industry cases, including privacy, defamation, and false light; performing legal analysis, risk assessment, issue spotting, and ongoing support of studio and network productions. Work closely with creative executives in programming and marketing, IP and litigation attorneys, Standards and Practices team, and others.
• Must have highest level oral and written communication skills and ability to handle high volume of projects simultaneously.
• Prior Production Attorney experience a plus
• Title Commensurate with experience.
• J.D., admitted to New York or California Bar