Avid System Engineer
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Avid System Engineer (Temporary)
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Global Broadcast Operations and Engineering consists of a wide range of media centric roles. We are responsible for managing the entire life cycle of A+E's programming. This is where we produce, transform, broadcast and distribute content as well as run the tech infrastructure for the Media Supply chain. We are an energetic team that fulfills the business objectives within a thriving dynamic industry. Developing new solutions to continually improve the user experience of our customers, consumers and colleagues is our mandate. If you have the determination and aptitude we are seeking for a role in this challenging and rewarding business and are eager to work for a department that sets the standard for our industry, then we look forward to speaking with you!
THE ROLE: Avid System Engineer (Temporary)
The primary role of this position is to technically support Post-Production and Production during the evening shift. This role will provide technical (hardware, software, and networking) support for our NY based Production & Post-Production facility including installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of end user hardware, software and related peripherals. Systems include the Avid suite (Interplay Media Asset Management, Nexis storage, Media Composer, ProTools, etc.) as well as the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite including Premiere and Aftereffects with associated plugins, Telestream Vantage transcoding, Vidchecker QA and Spectra Logic archive. This position will be part of the team responsible for efficient operation, uptime and overall stability of the technical environment. Hands on operational support and troubleshooting are a necessity. This role will also provide technical support to users residing in multiple locations including remote editor clients with hosts on premise and virtual such as Avid's Edit on Demand (EoD).
In addition, the Avid Engineer is expected to conduct research and provide solutions to problems and optimize in-house technology such as Signiant, Aspera, Davinci Resolve, Prestore, Lucidlink, Files.com FTP, Teradici and HP RGS, Ivanti and JAMF Pro.
Other than the main job responsibilities as described above, the System Engineer may at times be required to perform other general duties such as, and not limited to, equipment maintenance, shift coverage, and equipment installation/relocation, etc.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
A proactive approach towards maintenance to reduce downtime is expected from this position. Some examples would be monitoring systems to catch problems before they surface, keeping software & operating systems up to date, as well as following manufactures' recommended maintenance procedures. In addition, this position requires the engineer to interpret, correlate, and isolate alarm/soft conditions.
A good working relationship with our business partners in production is also needed to ensure needs are met and there is proper User Acceptance Verification of upgrades. Configure and test systems in a well-organized and diligent manner, creating roll out plans and utilizing documentation to define and track progress are also responsibilities of this position
The Avid System Engineer is expected to quickly resolve any conflict that arise during the implementation stage of a project by working with his or her engineering peers to resolve the problem or finds alternatives that are just as effective as the intended design in order to meet delivery date.
• Administration, installation, and support of post-production technologies and workflows (AVID Media Composer/Symphony, NEXIS, Interplay, Media Indexers, Airspeed, Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite,
• Windows and Linux Server and workstation deployment, administration, and troubleshooting
• VMWare environment administration and troubleshooting
• Install, set up, and configure Avid Editorial systems
• Field and respond to support requests
• Execute fixes and/or resolution needs, keeping clients and business stakeholders informed as to resolution status
• Participate in off hours maintenance and off-hours 'on call' rotation
• Various cables fabrication, connection etc.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
• Ability to innovatively and comfortably work both independently and in teams
• You will gain an increased knowledge in how to adapt and optimize existing methodologies within our business partners' changing and contracting landscapes
• In this role you will gain in-depth technical knowledge and experience across the entire production media supply chain to support all business verticals.
• You will experience the symbiotic relationships between engineering, internal A+E business units and external vendors and how each contribute to the success of the company
• You will learn the principles of prioritization with business partners when there are multiple major projects needing a response
• Identify, analyze and diagnose all support issues related to Avid Editorial systems
The Avid System Engineer must possess solid written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate technical issues to engineering colleagues who have various technical abilities. She or he must work well with others, stay on task and complete his or her work on schedule, both independently as well as in a team setting. This role must also be able to provide solutions to integrate disparate systems into a consolidated service offering and manage accordingly. Being an effective project manager within a team-oriented collaborative environment is essential to success.
The Avid System Engineer will be one of the primary points of contact for all Avid end user support requests. As a key member of the Engineering team, she or he will support Hardware, Software and Avid specific products for both Windows and Mac users. Secondarily, and as directed, this role will provide technical support 235 and Stamford facilities.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Minimum of five years' maintenance experience in a post-production, media production, or IT environment. 5-7 years supporting production and network facilities
• Post-production equipment technology and data networks
• Experience working directly with users to understand and resolve complex issues.
• Expert-level support experience for AVID Media Composer/Symphony workstations, Interplay, Media Central, Air Speed, Pro Tools, and Nexis servers (Avid ACSR certifications are desirable but not required)
• Expert-level support, installation, and configuration experience for the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
• Strong troubleshooting skills with focus on solving hardware, software, firmware, and application issues both repeatable and intermittent
• Communication skills, both oral and written, must be exemplary
• There is the opportunity to work in a ''blended'' environment from either on-premises or remote locations. Remote work from home is predicated on having a robust home network/internet service capable of supporting the position's area of responsibilities.
• Ability to read and interpret AutoCad and other technical drawing tools
• Experience creating and documenting test cases
• In-depth experience with video production and post-production technologies including various interconnection and networking as well, protocols
• Knowledge of video signal flows pertaining to HDSDI and Audio
• Ability to w