Assistant, Legal & Business Affairs
A+E NetworksNew York, NY
Full Time Job
''THE DIVISION'S STORY
Our global Legal and Business Affairs department believes in the promise and power of teamwork. When we work together as a cohesive unit – supporting, involving, appreciating and respecting each other – we can elevate our company, our clients, and ourselves. At A E Networks, we have built and developed a culture based on the principles of effective communication, collaboration, accountability and trust. These guiding principles serve as our north star as we partner and strategize with other departments across the Company to help A E Networks achieve its goals and stay at the forefront of a highly competitive, rapidly changing industry. If you share these values and want to learn more about who we are and what we do, consider joining our team.
THE ROLE: Assistant, Legal & Business Affairs
A+E Networks has an exciting opportunity for someone interested in media, law, rights & licensing, content/production review. As the Assistant in the Legal & Business Affairs Department, this person will be responsible for handling project support, legal research, contract management, and administrative support to multiple Legal & Business Affairs executives and lawyers serving the areas of: Content Production & Risk, Global Rights, Standards & Practices, Commercial Clearance, Insurance and Budget Management.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Legal Risk/Content support:
• Provide support of team of attorneys engaged in providing advice to networks and producers on every aspect of production and delivery of content.
• Maintain a database of production risk related documents and in some instances provide initial review and assessment for attorneys.
• Maintain a database of movie legal designations assigned to original movies.
• Perform research via the Internet or other means for: pre-production legal concerns for scripted movies/series & reality productions, litigation, privacy issues, copyright, digital matters, and commercial clearance/advertising laws and regulations.
• Attend regular meetings with team of attorneys to discuss current slate of productions and maintain active production docket and attorney assignment log.
Global Rights role:
• Analyze and interpret third party renewal agreements (music, footage, photo, location, and talent releases) for media rights and enter revised rights into rights management system, Jaguar.
• Manage and organize paper flow including drafting cover letters, preparing agreements for signatures, returning originals to clients, payment processing and filing in legal electronic document system, eDocs.
• Request and manage licenses required for use of music in A+E's promos, review licenses from outside publishers, and ensure deadlines for payment and signature are met.
• Assist with creation of budget spreadsheets in Excel pertaining to the L&BA department budget; perform financial research and analysis using various systems.
• Act as department liaison to Finance to process outside counsel bills and other vendor bills using various systems.
• Manage administration of payments and tracking of music/footage/photos and other IP licenses.
• Work with Attorneys to approve billing.
General Administrative & Team Support:
• Create presentations in PowerPoint with embedded media, and compile presentation materials.
• Manage schedules, expenses, and travel arrangements. Responsible for making dining reservations for client meetings, setting up video and other conference calls, and reserving conference rooms.
• Handle departmental administrative duties as assigned and other tasks such as managing department vacation calendar; organizing department weekly meetings and catering orders; and managing department phone lists.
• Assist other groups with special projects as assigned in Standards & Practices, Insurance, Global Rights, Commercial Clearance and Legal Risk.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
• How television really gets made!
• What it's like to work with a diverse, collaborative team of professionals who get along.
• How to prioritize and use your best organizational and communication skills to help a team thrive.
• What it feels like to bring your work to the next level.
• Minimum of 1-3 years administrative experience required.
• Legal administrative experience and working with contracts strongly preferred.
• Past experience or genuine interest working in the television business a plus.
• Paralegal experience a plus.
• Advanced level of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Maturity and good judgment ''a must'' as this position will be dealing with confidential documents on a regular basis.
• Ability to interact with senior level executives and outside counsel over the phone and email.
• Experience in working in any database, rights management system and/or accounts payable system a plus.
• Experience creating presentations using embedded video and other materials.
• Superior word processing skills.
• Strong proofreading and writing and communication skills.
• Strong time management and multi-tasking skills needed and must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
• Detailed-oriented and extremely organized.
• Internet and systems savvy a must.
• Candidate must be a team player who is organized, detail-oriented, and who takes initiative.
Bachelor's Degree required