Academy Classroom Coordinator
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The After-School Academy Classroom Coordinator is responsible for using baseball and softball as vehicles for instilling traits of leadership, scholarship, character development and teamwork for our scholar-athletes. The After-School Academy Classroom Coordinator will be responsible for effectively planning and implementing daily logistics, provide support and oversight during mentoring time, be the lead facilitator during study hall/homework help time activities, develop thorough and creative alternative instructional plans for scholar-athletes that arrive without homework, other activities related to academics, baseball/softball, Team Time, and other activities, as requested. The Classroom Coordinator will oversee and manage college/high school-aged volunteer coaches, meal time, and provide necessary support during all enrichment activities (e.g. mentoring, electives, etc.) associated with the Academy's after-school program. The Classroom Coordinator should be well-versed in youth development and able to mentor volunteer coaches. Lastly, the Classroom Coordinator must have the ability to manage behavioral challenges posed by scholar-athletes by using Advancing Youth Development and Responsive Classrooms practices.
The Classroom Coordinator is expected to be at the Academy for after-school programming during the hours of 2:30pm to 7:30pm and will attend all academy field-trips, as requested. The Classroom Coordinator will also be expected to attend a variety of evening and weekend activities, as well as mandatory training and professional development programs provided by the Academy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Take a lead role during classroom instruction, mentoring time, meal time, gathering time/Team Time, field trips, and rainy day/cold weather activities.
• Maintain an organized classroom setting, support oversight of transition from the classroom to the field for scholar-athletes and other learning activities.
• Manage volunteer coaches with respect to instructional/academic activities.
• Participate in and provide effective oversight of scholar-athletes during field-trips and to and from the Academy.
• Coordinate with the appropriate After-School Academy Baseball/Softball Coordinator and other program staff for daily logistics and lesson plans.
• Other duties as assigned.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Do you have experience working with youth and volunteers? If so, please explain.