Manager, Data Science - Digital Marketing
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Data Science - Digital Marketing
The Data Science Manager's responsibilities are split between two major areas: measurement oversight over digital marketing performance and advanced analytics that either prove the effectiveness of digital marketing or draw predictive, actionable insights from digital signals.
Digital advertising performance testing & analysis
• Digital campaign KPI analysis: Data Science Manager will support SPE's learning agenda by testing digital KPIs on specific campaigns – in close coordination with the Director of Digital Marketing Performance and leveraging the support of Sony's agency analytics team. This responsibility will require supporting the design of measurement methodology, troubleshooting with agencies and other activation and measurement partners, and analyzing post-campaign performance data.
• Advertising Effectiveness - A critical part of the Data Science Manager role will be focused on proving the overall value of digital marketing through analysis of the impact on awareness and sales of Sony's digital marketing campaigns. Success will require coordination and analysis of data sets ranging from survey-based consumer tracking, to granular box office sales data to demonstrate the impact of digital and other marketing activities. The resulting measurement and increased understanding of the value of our digital spend is key to driving digital-minded thinking and promoting digital investment across Sony.
• Digital campaign health: with the support of our agency's analytic team, the Data Science Manager will monitor campaign health and track campaign optimizations against KPIs, suggest changes, challenge partner tactics and results, all with a strong command of available optimization levers (mix, site, pacing, bid, viewability, etc.).
Predictive box office modeling
• Continuous model enhancement: support the improvement of SPE's predictive box office tools, calibrating a wide variety of data sets to support robust predictive outputs. Creative thinking will be critical to generating meaningful insights from many disparate digital signals & datasets.
• Insights & ad-hoc studies: using predictive tools to answer specific, high-priority questions around the true impact of digital signals (e.g., Rotten Tomatoes scores) on box office performance.
• Data ownership: data wrangling, cleansing, Q&A, primarily for ingestion in broader predictive models. Success will require acting as a technical lead with Sony's IT team to acquire/transfer, store, organize and operationalize publicly available and proprietary data.
Other ad-hoc analyses, data projects
• Data organization, insights & continuous learning: Data Science Manager will support the organization of digital performance data (e.g., benchmarking tools), and contribute insights to SPE's Digital Marketing Playbook (led by Digital Performance Director), acting as an important validation point for external performance measurement methodology, integrity and actionability.
• Film performance analyses: working to understand the impact of certain factors and/or marketing tactics on overall film performance, as high-impact or executive-level questions arise.
• Executive insight support: support digital performance questions from leadership (including SPE digital exec team & Performance Director), coordinating the aggregation of new data sets to answer one-off and new, ongoing business questions
• Bachelor's degree
• 3-5 years of experience (1-3 in specialty)
• Digital media/marketing landscape – with a focus on addressable strategies, ad tech, audience buying platforms and methodologies, digital KPIs
• Film marketing: basic strategies, campaign tactics and common social/digital KPIs. Passion for movies is a major plus
• Digital Measurement Methodologies – Statistical expertise around measuring digital impact (MMM, closed loop studies, geographic and pacing variability modeling, regressions)
• Statistics – Supervised and unsupervised machine learning models, including regularization, feature engineering, training, as well as interpretation and integrity
• Programming – Expertise with SQL, R (required), Python (a plus), R Studio & Shiny apps (also a plus), including familiarity with databases, data wrangling, maintenance, cleaning
• Visualization & Presentation – Represent complex information in easily understood visualization (including Tableau, PowerPoint, etc.). Communicating clearly to executives, technology partners, agencies, and contributing to projects and meetings
• Project Management – Strong attention to detail, willingness to wear multiple hats, building and tracking a work plan in a fast-based environment
• Form and test hypotheses and continuously iterate to drive efficiencies, effectiveness
• Act as a credible analytic resource across digital platforms, testing & measurement methodologies
• Analyze and organize large data sets to create a cohesive story that can inform marketing strategies
• Work collaboratively & horizontally across multiple teams with fragmented, vertical (title-by-title) priorities
• Translate business objectives into analytical functions, including ability to quantitatively assess risk
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios