Director, Creative Marketing
Sony MusicLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Orchard, celebrating 20 years in business, is a pioneering independent film, TV and music distribution company that operates in over 25 global markets. The company, founded as a music distributor in 1997, is a groundbreaking leader in the film and TV distribution space, known for its innovative technology that provides filmmakers with up to the minute trending data and analytics on their projects.
In a very short amount of time, The Orchard has grown its film business significantly, developing and growing their relationships with key filmmaking and producing talent as well as building a bi-coastal team focused on releasing compelling, award-winning films to audiences across the world.
Upcoming releases include the Sundance favorites The Hero, Trophy and Jury prize winning Dina as well as Super Dark Times, Joachim Trier’s Thelma, the Halle Berry/Daniel Craig starrer Kings and the Cannes Grand Prix winner 100 BPM.
The Company’s film division has enjoyed such recent successes as the Academy Award-nominated documentaries Cartel Land and Life, Animated; Taika Waititi’s Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Academy Award-winner Morgan Neville’s The Music of Strangers, Alex Lehmann’s Blue Jay, Antonio Campos’ Christine and Pablo Larrain’s critically acclaimed, Golden Globe-nominated Neruda.
Reporting to the EVP of Film & TV is a proactive, driven, creative and detail-oriented individual with significant experience in theatrical and digital marketing campaigns and a strong awareness of the independent film marketing landscape. The individual is responsible for driving strategic marketing and promotional efforts for The Orchard’s annual theatrical slate through marketing strategy, creative assets and promotional efforts. The position is an important part of a tight-knit, hard-working team of marketing and publicity professionals.
Report to: EVP, Film & TV
Other key relationships: VP, Sales & Marketing
Director, Digital Marketing
Manager, Theatrical Publicity
• Develop and drive the overall marketing campaign strategies and positioning for The Orchard’s theatrical titles in conjunction with the Marketing and Publicity teams.
• Work in tandem with the EVP of Film & TV and creative agencies to develop key art/posters and theatrical trailers/TV spots that successfully communicate the unique elements of The Orchard’s theatrical releases and drive audience awareness and passion for our films.
• Manage creative print vendors, budgets, talent approvals, paid ad statements, MPAA ratings, finishing, delivery and printing of one-sheets and theatrical posters while working with Publicity to ensure asset premieres and press.
• Manage trailer ideation, creation and execution with creative vendors, talent approvals, music licensing, finishing, delivery, budgets and clearances. Develop cut downs for television, digital and social targeting/advertising.
• Develop and implement unconventional and out-of-the-box marketing tactics and promotions for each theatrical title, targeting the uniquely engaged audiences for each film.
• Drive theatrical promotional opportunities, including contests and sweepstakes, national screening programs, and event sponsorships.
• Direct all national and local grassroots outreach initiatives.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in the theatrical marketing space, ideally with a particular focus on creative marketing and the independent film distribution landscape.
• Highly creative, extremely entrepreneurial, driven and focused – with experience in identifying target audiences and devising marketing campaigns that engage, inform and motivate.
• Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in digital marketing, including experience working with outside vendors, grass roots/outreach organizations, advertising agencies and more.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate externally with partners and filmmakers.
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task, prioritize to tight deadlines and stay focused under pressure.
• Passionate about independent film.
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
About The Orchard®?The Orchard is an independent music and video distribution company that provides an innovative and comprehensive sales and marketing platform for content owners. With our industry-leading technology and operations, we partner with companies of all sizes to make their music and videos available across hundreds of digital and mobile outlets around the world, and physical retailers too. We work with our clients to maximize their revenue, and provide them with the latest and greatest digital marketing tools and sophisticated sales analytics to help them run their businesses efficiently and effectively.
The Orchard was founded in 1997 in New York City to foster independence and creativity in the music industry. Our headquarters are in New York and London, with operations in more than 25 markets around the world, including France, Spain, Germany, Mexico, Argentina, India, Australia and more. At The Orchard, the focus is to provide a comfortable, social and engaging environment to encourage productivity, creativity and personal/business relationships. From monthly potlucks and game nights to company kickball teams and other staff perks, our employees like what they do and where they do it.
The Orchard is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.