Intern - Data Scientist
Oklahoma City ThunderOklahoma City, OK
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The Oklahoma City Thunder is an elite performance organization and a leading franchise in the NBA. Beyond any single game, season, or outcome, we're driven to shape the future of our industry, our community and our own legacy in sports. So we're looking for people who want to make an impact–individuals with the courage and ambition to think and work differently and an endless desire to push for progress. At the Thunder, you're joining a culture that performs at the highest level and empowers you to realize your greatest potential.
As a Data Scientist – Intern, your work is critical to uncovering valuable insights that help shape the organization's future – influencing performance, strategic planning, and decision-making to craft the optimal conditions for talent to thrive.
Working with colleagues, external suppliers, and internal and external data sources, you will analyze, research and support areas crucial to the performance of the team like basketball analytics, player evaluation, and medical research.
Other day-to-day duties include:
• Working with diverse, large, and complex datasets to solve dynamic and meaningful problems
• Performing statistical analysis and predictive modeling.
• Communicating and presenting findings.
• Developing impactful reports, presentations, and ongoing deliverables
• Collaborating on new research opportunities across various functions
• Pursuing a degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, economics or data science field
• Some experience with technical tools for analysis - Python (with Pandas, etc.), R, SQL, etc.; Python
• skills and previous software engineering background a plus
• Some experience with database systems and data wrangling
• Some experience with data visualization
• Some experience with web applications using R - Shiny
• Proven respect for confidentiality
• Strong communication skills-ability to deliver clear and effective messages to a variety of stakeholders
• Real passion for basketball and sports are key
• Must be able to work on short notice
This is a part-time, hourly position for Summer 2018 reporting to the Director of Data Science & Solutions / Insight & Foresight.
For those up for the challenge, let's talk.
*The Professional Basketball Club, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?