Senior Counsel/Counsel Production Labor
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The fact that the labor team is the backbone of our legal infrastructure may be the worst kept secret at Netflix. We currently have a slot on our dream team for one especially well-qualified labor expert. Maybe you're a studio labor executive who wants a new challenge and the opportunity to enhance your industry relationships. Or maybe you're a production attorney who has experience advising clients on various guild and union matters and is adept at balancing talent and labor relations. Sound interesting? Do you have experience dealing with domestic and international productions and are up for the challenge of helping us support global expansion efforts? With over 100 million subscribers worldwide enjoying excellent content, it's an exciting time to work at Netflix, especially on the Labor Team.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of Internet television.
The position will report to the Senior Counsel of the Labor Team, part of the Business & Legal Affairs team at Netflix.
The successful candidate will have 6 years of film/TV labor experience, including direct experience negotiating guild and union agreements (U.S. and foreign) and providing support to a television or film production company (in-house or as outside counsel), and/or a major entertainment studio. Practical knowledge of development, production, distribution, and the evolving Made for New Media landscapes preferred. Must also have excellent working relationships with the above the line and below the line guilds/unions and other studio labor executives.
For clarity, the right candidate may not have spent her/his career primarily as a labor attorney. In fact, many members of the Netflix Labor team have diverse backgrounds (e.g., production legal experience and physical production experience), and we greatly appreciate diverse perspectives.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Clear, concise communication skills
• Dynamic public speaking abilities
• Strong analytical skills and good judgment
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in an extremely fast-paced environment
• Flexibility and solution driven
• Ability to pivot quickly
• Unconventional, creative thinking abilities
Some of the various job responsibilities include:
• Negotiate guild and union agreements for productions all over the world
• Provide day to day advice in connection with the guild and union above the line and below the line agreements (compensation, pension and health, residuals, credit, working conditions, and other issues relating to the applicable collective bargaining agreements)
• Advise internal groups on the terms of the guild and union agreements
• Advise business and legal on the applicable guild and union language for talent agreements
• Investigate and resolve guild and union grievances
• Conduct Employee investigations and/or consult with Production HR in connection with investigations
• Train internal teams on guild and union agreements
• Oversee outside counsel on labor arbitrations or in other legal proceedings.
• Be an effective team player