Media Manager, Consumer PR - Us
NetflixNew York, CA
Full Time Job
It's an amazing time to join the Netflix PR team as we continue to transform entertainment. Over the past few years, we have moved from being a distributor to a programmer; from being a domestic tech company to a global leader in the entertainment landscape, and from a brand that markets price value to one that talks about the joy of watching. If you are a passionate, creative storyteller who is not afraid of a challenge, keep reading!
We are looking for a talented public relations media manager with a strong understanding and relationship with consumer media across the U.S. The media relations manager will be a member of a seasoned group of professionals helping formulate, execute, and sustain a global media strategy for Netflix. The media relations manager will focus on innovation around how we engage traditional media and must understand the intersection between PR and social media within the digital media landscape, as the communications function is strategically critical to building on the company's success in a fast-changing, highly competitive global media landscape.The role has strong cross-functional interaction with teams in US, Europe, Latin America and Asia with a high level of visibility and impact within the business.
The media relations role will focus on:
• Day-to-day media contact with NYC media (broadcast, print, digital) who can help drive the Netflix narrative forward for consumer PR initiatives. The role will help execute consumer PR campaigns and continue to build the Netflix brand.
• Innovation and creation of new ways to engage with media.
• Facilitating media relationship building events, including in-market press meetings with global and regional teams.
The media manager must:
• Have a deep understanding and expertise in U.S. media landscape -- day-to-day media contacts in broadcast, print and digital are a must.
• Have experience managing PR media campaigns from strategy development through execution -- fluency in social media and marketing is important in order to partner effectively on campaigns.
• Have 8-10 years of experience in an in-house and/or agency setting used to working in a fast paced and ever changing environment. Experience working at or with an agency is preferred.
• Be able to work independently and understand how to build and maintain relationships with key journalists, social media press and different kinds of influencers.
• Be confident and creative in writing, capable of crafting everything from executive messaging to consumer facing newsletters, press releases and everything in between.
• Love brands, appreciate a good brief and understand what to do with a genuine insight
• Possess the ability to identify, nurture and help refine compelling creative ideas and concepts that translate to media.
• Have proven ability to be a nimble and creative problem-solver.
• Be capable of serving as a company spokesperson among press.
• Really love entertainment...broad knowledge of TV/film, entertainment, pop culture and lifestyle trends is expected and being a TV, movie or Netflix junkie is even better.
To succeed at Netflix, the candidate must also possess the following characteristics:
• Ability to think innovatively and connect the dots when others cannot. Able to make the leap from information to insight. Succinct communicator.
• Great writer and talker. Can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately. Has a quick intelligence, is fast on the feet and quickly responds to issues and questions. Doesn't need to ''check with the agency'' on every issue or for every answer. Says it like it is; not wrapped in political niceties.
• Pragmatic, Organized and Detailed Has a big capacity to both think and 'do'. Flourishes in a 'hands on' role, adding value at different levels. Is strong on detail and highly organized.
• A smart minimalist. Keeps things simple. Knows that global communications can be made complex---and will resist and prevent that. Does not need or desire big budgets for big results. Believes one great person on the team is more valuable than 3 to 5 OK people---and wants to be that great person.
• Has a Point of View - An independent thinker willing and able to express and support a point of view.
• Enjoys having multiple projects going at once. Can change course, be scrappy and get things done on short timeframes.
The Netflix culture attracts daredevils who exhibit good judgment, innovation, selflessness, courage, impact, candid communication, passion, and curiosity. Read the culture memo. If it resonates for you, maybe you're the right person to join our dream team.