Data Analyst, Consumer Insights & Analytics
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Consumer Insights team has data coming in every minute from multiple sources (social, surveys, and more). The mission for this role is to unlock the power of our data by finding innovative ways to analyze, organize, integrate, and visualize information. She/He will identify research needs and priorities based on an in-depth understanding of the strategic questions that can help move our business forward. As part of the growing Consumer Insights team that supports Content and Marketing at Netflix, these explorations will include a deeper understanding of consumers' changing content interests, word of mouth drivers, content positioning strategies, and more. This is an expansive opportunity for someone who enjoys both detailed quantitative analysis and creative collaboration on larger strategic questions about consumers.
• Partner closely with other researchers to analyze survey and social data and visualize it in new, accessible, and powerful ways.
• Create innovative data dashboards with impact.
• Proactively explore data to discover hidden insights and develop new metrics.
• Build data pipelines to gather the data from multiple sources and automate analyses in order to derive insights and answer ad-hoc questions.
• Run ad hoc analyses to answer specific day to day questions or support larger initiatives.
• Combine and append behavioral data to survey data.
• Support social analytics initiatives, visualize social data, help find new applications for social data.
• Partner with other Analytics teams outside of Consumer Insights, when applicable.
Who are you?
• You see simple patterns where others see inscrutable noise.
• You love digging into data for hidden connections.
• You are lazy in a productive way (you find tedious work boring and would rather automate it).
• You can translate from human to machine and back without losing the beauty and spirit of the intent.
• You build people what they want before they know they wanted it.
• You exhibit tenacity and thoroughness, even under pressure.
• You have vision, and consider progress exciting.
• You are known for turning work around quickly.
• You are motivated to explore new technologies and learn new things, while also recognizing that many satisfactory ideas and implementations may already exist. You see engineering as a means, not an end.
• A fan of entertainment content is a strong plus.
The technical experience that will help you succeed:
• 3 years relevant experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics to drive significant business impact. Strong experience writing queries regularly and using Tableau.
• Experience with / interest in survey-based and social data.
• Strong data visualizations skills to convey information and results clearly.
• Strong SQL and data modeling skills. Experience with distributed databases and query languages like Hive or Pig.
• Strong statistical knowledge, Proficiency with a statistical analysis tool such as R.
• MicroStrategy experience a plus. Teradata or other parallel database experience a plus. Python, Hadoop, MapReduce, Amazon EMR experience a plus.
• MS/BS degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, CS, Econometrics or related field preferred.
A few more things to know:
• We expect a lot. Our culture is unique and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix company culture.
• We are a tight and driven team with big goals, so we seek individuals who are truly passionate about their work. We also support a balanced lifestyle.