Full Time Job
The Director Facilities is a leadership position in facilities management for all NPR offices. NPR is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has several offices and news bureaus geographically dispersed across the United States. The position will report to the Vice President of Technology.
The Director is responsible for Facilities Building Operations, Maintenance Management, Facilities Project Management, Mailroom Operations, Facilities Planning & Space Utilization, and Environmental Health & Safety Management. May serve as interim Head of Safety and Security on an as-needed role. He or she plans, organizes, directs, coordinates, and controls the operations to include; lease and tenant management, maintenance and grounds, engineering, repair and renovation projects, move management, conference services, general office services, and safety and security. NPR owns and leases facilities across eight locations with over 400K square feet. The position is responsible for developing and managing revenue, operating expense and capital budgets in excess of $17M.
Maintains compliance with applicable regulatory agency requirements, including; Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), State and Local agencies, The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), DC Department of Energy (DDOE), Washington DC City Government etc. Manages staff and contractors to adequately ensure and maintain the efficient and safe operation of all buildings. Maintain efficient utility operations by utilizing energy management systems and tracking tools.
Essential duties include:
Develops plans and solutions with full understanding of cross-organizational impact and needs, ensuring function successfully integrates work output and services with other departments.
Responsible for the use of systems, processes and performance tracking across facilities operations; engineering, mail services, common office services, general and preventative maintenance. Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interprets complex documents requiring advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
• Develop and maintain long and short term facility plans
• Plans, predicts, maintains and repairs building and equipment
• Manage the critical power supply services including capacity planning for the
Un-interrupted power system (UPS), generator and critical HVAC requirement
• Lead facilities operations and pro-actively works across all lines of business for service and operating efficiencies
• Inspects buildings, grounds, and mechanical installations regularly to maintain high standards of workmanship, cleanliness, safety, and security
• Stays informed on the latest trends, developments, and products in the maintenance, repair, and facility upkeep arenas
• Act as the primary liaison between NPR staff and the Facilities Department in addressing their needs.
• Oversee the mailroom staff and operations.
• Ensures adequate control systems to monitor expenses and service levels without exceeding budget and contributes to cost-savings initiatives.
• Prepares and controls the facilities revenue, operating, and capital budgets.
• Supervises and inspects facility improvement and renovation work performed by outside contractors to verify that the terms of all such contracts have been fulfilled before authorizing final payments
Staff and Contractors
• Interpret the needs of the organization and form the necessary strategic partnerships and relationships with vendors to deliver the respective goods and services to meet these responsibilities.
• Directs and coordinates staff and contractors to complete activities that are related to the maintenance and renovation of all facilities.
• Conducts continuing staff training and development to maintain a consistent work flow.
• Coordinate with 3rd party food vendor to operate and maintain an onsite Cafeteria and Kitchen.
• Manage and evaluate the effects of proposed real estate changes on the corporation
• Implement real estate plans with an understanding of NPR's strategic real estate goals.
• Evaluate entire real estate portfolio for cost reductions (synthetic leases, etc.)
• Concurrently acts as landlord and/or tenant and effectively facilitate the negotiation of business terms and conditions for several commercial real estate properties.
• Manage the tenants within the HQ building and at the Los Angeles locations.
The ideal candidate must be able to manage multiple client needs and the decision making process including operational and financial decision criteria. Must have managerial skills to direct staff, contractors, and service vendors in the management of facilities. Exceptional communication skills and the ability to interact directly with senior executive management and other key stakeholders and staff members.
• Bachelor’s degree in a field related to architecture, engineering, facilities or contract management, or commercial real estate
• 10 years relevant work experience, of which at least 7 years in a senior facilities management leadership or commercial real estate position
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong budgeting and cost management skills
• Outstanding customer service skills
• Strong interpersonal relationship building, collaboration, and facilitation skills
• Ability to work and complete assignments within time constraints and budgetary guidelines
• Detail-oriented with the ability to make independent decisions while working well in a team environment
• Experience with Maintenance Management and Building Management Systems.
• CFM certification
• A valid driver's license
• Travel is required to oversee NPR locations, primarily Los Angeles and New York.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.