Full Time Job
Calling all grant writers, wordsmiths, storytellers and true nonprofit enthusiasts: NPR’s Development Division needs your help! If you love public radio, have a unique and persuasive way of articulating NPR’s mission and can craft compelling fundraising and stewardship materials for foundations – this job is for you! We seek to hire a dynamic, experienced and mission-driven Development Writer and Reports Manager to assist Development’s writing and communications hub in generating inspiring, polished and thought-provoking fundraising materials for the donors who make our critical work possible.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in grant writing and nonprofit communications, with a track record of producing successful fundraising materials. The Development Writer will also be instrumental helping NPR’s Development Division build a case for support for significant fundraising initiatives. S/he will be strategic, collaborative, have a service-oriented approach and keen business/nonprofit acumen, and thrive in a fast-paced, creative, results oriented culture.
As a member of Development’s writers’ hub, reporting to the Associate Director of Donor Communications, the Development Writer will play a key role in developing materials for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts. This position will support the Development Division’s efforts to keep track of the plans for – and impact of – NPR’s many projects, desks and series.
The Development Writer and Reports Manager’s primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Make significant contributions to the creation of NPR Development’s case for support for high-net-worth donors and national foundations.
• Develop language to support new funding opportunities, campaigns and significant fundraising efforts for public radio.
• Produce persuasive and dynamic grants and letters of inquiry following funder guidelines and deadlines.
• Produce grant reports to foundations to include comprehensive analysis of program-related metrics and outcomes. Ensure that NPR is compliant with funders’ reporting requirements.
• Develop templates for grants and reports to streamline the production of materials, and update the language and metrics quarterly.
• Maintain the institutional grants calendar in Raisers Edge to ensure timely submission of all letters of inquiry, proposals and reports.
• Prioritize projects to keep multiple assignments moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for proposals and reports.
• In coordination with supervisor and colleagues in Development’s writers’ hub, maintain and routinely refresh existing language on the work of NPR’s various desks, programs and company-wide strategies in order to make polished language on a broad range of topics available quickly to the Development Division.
• As a member of Development’s writers’ hub, provide writing/editing support for communications and development related materials, including major donor and individual contribution letters, acknowledgements and annual reports.
• Cultivate and maintain an awareness of industry trends within public media, journalism and philanthropy.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in development and grant writing, editing and related work with proven track record of successful grant awards.
• Superior communication, grammar and editing skills, including a capacity to communicate complex ideas, program-related metrics and outcomes compellingly to a variety of audiences.
• Strong computer skills, including compiling and framing graphics, metrics and charts, and experience with prospect research tools and funder databases.
• Highly organized with attentiveness to details and strict adherence to deadlines, standards and deliverables.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects, to set and adjust priorities, and work in a fast-paced and changing work environment in collaboration with diverse stakeholders.
• Highly collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; Raiser’s Edge (or equivalent database software) and AP Style a plus.
• Skills or experience with analyzing program-related metrics and outcomes.
• Love of NPR or knowledge or experience with public media issues.
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.