Senior Counsel - Corporate / Technology
AscapNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ASCAP is looking for a new Senior Counsel to work with our newly formed Strategy and Development team to draft, review, negotiate and interpret an extensive range of transactional technology related agreements. These agreements will include development agreements, software and IP licensing as well as general digital and product related agreements. This position is expected to provide support for ASCAP's technology, business strategy and product groups, as well as for general corporate and operational legal matters. This position is based in New York City.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
• Ability to cover a high volume of time sensitive assignments, prioritize matters based on busines needs and drive deals to close.
• Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on an extensive range of agreements including technology transactions (e.g., licensing agreements, software development contracts, services and consulting agreements, statements of work, hardware, content and other technology agreements)
• Provide technology and intellectual property law advice and counsel to internal clients.
• Explain complex legal issues in a manner that allows internal clients to manage business risks including as it relates to new products and services.
• Interest in learning the business and operations of ASCAP in order to provide counsel on ongoing legal matters.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Previous in-house counsel experience and/or knowledge of the entertainment/digital industry and related legal trends and business affairs practices is a plus.
• Qualified candidates should possess excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills and oral and written communication skills.
• Minimum of five years of relevant large law firm and/or in house experience required.
• Minimum of three years working on technology transactions/procurement (technology licenses, cloud service, development agreements)
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally throughout ASCAP
• Ability to analyze and synthesize information and suggest alternative resolution strategies.
• A common sense approach to decision-making.
• A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change and speed.
• J.D. with superior academic credentials preferred.
• Licensed and in good standing to practice law in New York State.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Long term disability insurance
• Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
• Employer paid retirement savings program