Intern - Marketing & Events
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
The Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy is a year-round educational and athletic facility with the mission to use baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health among at-risk Washington, D.C., youth. Founded in 2013, the Academy is poised for exciting growth and utilization of its new $17 million facility in Ft. Dupont Park in Southeast, D.C.
Reporting to the Events & Marketing Associate (Marketing Associate) the Marketing & Events intern will assist with developing, organizing, and implementing all marketing and event planning pertaining to fundraising, revenue generation, and brand awareness for the Washington Nationals Dream Foundation and Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy. This position will have direct responsibilities with event planning, marketing operational budget, Academy related game operations, monthly newsletter, website and social media.
The Marketing & Events Associate may endure some travel and is expected to work flexibly, spending most of his/her time at Nationals Park, occasionally working at the Nationals Youth Baseball Academy. The intern will regularly interface with Academy Board Members, major donors, and VIPs, such as Nationals players, MLB or government officials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in development and execution of event operations plan for the Academy
• Implement and help facilitate Mushball Tournament, Nationals Gala, Academy Day, Scherzer Showdown, Nationals Donor Events, Spring Training Trip, & other events assigned
• Responsible for post-event follow up to include surveys, thank you notes, reports and final event audits
• Maintain detailed task lists to ensure efficient project management plans
• Attend events as required to represent the Academy
• Maintain the appropriate relationships with vendors, local businesses, government organizations, sports organizations, venues, and events
• Help procure equipment rentals, transportation amenities, and service providers
• Collaborate on and create graphic designs, layout elements, and GIFs for social media utilizing Canva
• Assist with game day marketing and promotions operations geared towards Academy
• Assist in the coordination of direct mail and social media communications with the donor base, including solicitations, renewals, and monthly newsletters
• Routinely check and update Academy website and social media pages
• Manage promo items and memorabilia used for cultivation and stewardship of donor base
• Assist with the creation of all marketing material (e.g. brochures, presentations, etc.)
• Should possess experience in all social media platforms
• Push consistent, relevant traffic from Academy social media accounts
• Identifies emerging industry trends in graphic design/social media
• Works with various internal departments to manage creative consistency of all internal and external athletics communications
• Other duties as assigned
This position requires a self-motivated person with personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for the work of the Nationals Dream Foundation and Nationals Youth Baseball Academy. Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends. The preferred candidate will have marketing/event planning experience within the nonprofit and/or sports industry. Additionally:
• Demonstrated effective communication skills; the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required
• Strong understanding of how best to leverage Digital Social/Media in order to support revenue generation goals and encourage greater donor engagement
• Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes
• Ability to appropriately work with and around confidential information is necessary
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team and ability to take direction is a must
• Basic knowledge of baseball/softball rules preferred
• Emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community
• Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
• Proven graphic design technical abilities with a strong understanding of layout, color theory and typography in both print and digital media
• Experience working with Canva or Adobe Illustrator
• Demonstrated creative mindset with a passion about excellent creative execution
• Ability to take constructive input/critique from others
• Strong design style, including creative design solutions
• Ability to manage multiple collaborative projects and systems in a fast-paced environment
• Experience working with diverse populations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Strong organizational and planning skills. Ability to track and meet deadlines, combined with flexibility to meet ad-hoc requests or respond to immediate opportunities when they arise.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel required – experience with Canva, PowerPoint, and SalesForce preferred – Website Design experience is a plus
• Knowledge and experience working across sports marketing, promotions and advertising, for a nonprofit or sports organization
• A team player, used to working collaboratively in a sometimes hectic and fast-paced, but fun environment.
• Experience coaching, playing and/or enjoying youth baseball / softball a plus.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
• How did you hear about this job?