Assistant Counsel - Digital Legal Affairs
Warner Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Assistant Counsel, Digital Legal Affairs
As an Assistant Counsel in Digital Legal Affairs, you will draft and negotiate complex and often first-of-kind digital music licensing deals (e.g., with regard to audio and video streaming, subscription, webcasting, retail establishment music services, apps utilizing music, social media platforms, VR & AR, and other emerging technologies), support various aspects of the deal-making process, advise and execute on digital strategy, and brief WMG's senior management on digital deals and developments. You will be required to function at the highest degree of precision, at a fast pace, in collaboration with a highly sophisticated in-house team of experts in their fields.
Here you'll get to:
• Negotiate deals for the digital exploitation of music content, including with digital service providers, app developers, digital content aggregators, emerging tech companies, etc.
• Draft agreements and other documentation (e.g., summaries) as part of such deals and ensure compliance with contractual obligations set forth in such deals
• Report on developments relating to specific deals and intellectual property law and policy to WMG's senior management, including the General Counsel and other C-suite executives, as well as to various WMG business units, including the Legal & Business Affairs of WMG's labels and Warner/Chappell Music
• Contribute to internal discussions on new digital strategy and policy relating to developments in business and the law and author and enforce the resulting policies
• Manage and respond to inquiries from WMG business units and international affiliates on matters related to WMG digital deals, digital policies, and a host of related issues/matters
Rockstar candidates will have:
• J.D. and active license to practice law in New York State
• Two-five years relevant transactional legal experience
Required Competencies and Skills:
• Understanding of content licensing, digital media and intellectual property law
• Strong negotiation skills and experience (in particular, the ability to lead and manage negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), as well as strong analytical and organizational skills
• Refined and well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance)
• Strong interpersonal skills and business acumen
• Attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly
• Strong familiarity with new technology developments and related legal issues
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• A passion for the intersection of music, business, law, and technology
• Previous legal experience in the music industry or with technology companies licensing music or other audiovisual content
• Familiarity with the recorded music and music publishing industries, as well as related legal issues and recent developments
Why join us?
Warner Music Group is all about our people. We are one global company made up of some of the most knowledgeable, passionate and creative people in our business. It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music, at every stage of their careers. We strive to set WMG apart from the rest of the industry by embracing a philosophy of innovation that is part of our company's DNA. Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the biggest forces in music today.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link at the top of the page, or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Warner Music Group is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local laws or ordinances.
Copyright © 2018 Warner Music Inc.
A little bit about our team:
The Digital Legal Affairs team is a part of WMG's corporate legal department. The team is charged with negotiating and drafting WMG's key global, multi-territory, and US digital deals in tandem with the WMG's Digital Strategy and Business Development team. The Digital Legal Affairs team also contributes to digital licensing policy and strategy development and coordinates digital deal implementation.
This position reports directly to the Executive Counsel, Business Affairs, Strategic and Digital Initiatives, and ultimately to the General Counsel. In addition to working with the rest of the Digital Legal Affairs team and the Digital Strategy and Business Development team on a day-to-day basis, the role involves communication regularly with WMG's labels, Warner/Chappell Music, and other business units and constituencies (e.g., Digital Marketing, Finance, Reporting, Operations, Royalty Accounting, Tax, etc.) on important topics raised by digital deals and developments.