Senior Manager, Labor Relations
Walt Disney World ResortLake Buena Vista, FL
Full Time Job
The Senior Manager, Labor Relations (LR) strategically leads a team of LR professionals while collaborating as a segment team member for both sites, Walt Disney World and Disneyland. The position may be based in Anaheim, California or Orlando, Florida. Key elements of the role are to negotiate collective bargaining agreements, provide guidance to all levels of Company leaders regarding contract and policy interpretation, serve as a critical thought partner for activation of business growth initiatives and effects bargaining, grievances, arbitrations and agency charges. Collaboration within the Human Resources Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) community is essential.
• Provide day-to-day leadership to LR professionals by providing guidance on labor acumen and business strategy, modeling effective leadership traits and establishing performance expectations, accountability and providing feedback.
• Serve as a primary point of contact for property-wide leaders, clients and partners by promoting knowledge, understanding, interpretation and bargaining of multiple Collective Bargaining Agreements, Company policies and relevant employment laws through consulting, influencing, negotiations, training and presentations.
• Engage with leaders across the WDPR organization to strategically prepare for and engage in contract negotiations and effects bargaining based on significant business changes and growth initiatives.
• Develop the strategy, delivery, cadence and implementation plan for core LR services in order to drive business solutions, tools, and resources to effectively apply collective bargaining agreements while positively supporting business objectives and the employee experience.
• Collaborate with HRDI functional team members through an immersive approach to establish goals and objectives, assess key business drivers, analyze organizational effectiveness and develop integrated implement action plans. Provide credible LR expertise to advance HRDI and Operations priorities.
• Partner closely with Employee Relations, HR Business Partners and engage Legal counsel to strategically incorporate a holistic approach to grievances, arbitrations, agency charges and impending legal matters.
• Interact and work with team members from Security, Public Affairs, Advisory & Assurance, Work Force Management and Operations Integration to provide labor input and incorporate brand considerations
• Represent the Company as an advocate in grievances, arbitrations as well as interface with state and federal administrative agencies as needed
• Analyze LR data/metrics for themes, trends and root cause identification. Share findings with property-wide leaders and partners in order to develop an integrated plan and approach to maximize the business and employee experience.
• Be a change agent to continually advance departmental innovation
• Develop professional relationships and engage with several diverse union affiliates.
• Serve as a role model, and demonstrate the value proposition for diversity and inclusion, to include organizational vibrancy, advocating the company's culture and heritage
Professional/Credible Subject Matter Expertise
• Proven expertise in leading negotiations preparation, bargaining, implementation and administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements; preferably, as an accomplished Chief Negotiator
• Effective ability to strategically develop a holistic approach to multi-contract initiatives and proposals that require labor and operational assessments for alignment vs. differentiation as well as cadenced timing
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate under dynamic and adverse conditions with a strategic forward-thinking approach
• Proven experience and demonstrated understanding of all aspects of labor and human resources related laws, regulations policies, principles and practices including, but not limited to NLRA, Title VII, EEO, ADA, and FMLA; and, associated state employment laws
• Demonstrated ability to support a client system regarding all aspects of labor relations function including providing counsel on employee performance matters, training and education, effects bargaining, continuous improvement and trend analysis
• Practical knowledge and proven employment related practices such as grievance advocacy, arbitrations and agency charges
• Minimum of two (2) years, developing a collaborative team
• Proven capability to confidently lead a team by establishing performance expectations, providing guidance and accountability of direct reports
Attributes / Skills / Atmosphere and Work Practices
• Proven business acumen, strategic thinking, strong influence and decision-making, and root cause/analysis skills
• Poised ability to effectively manage conflict and challenge thinking of leaders, peers, subordinates and partners
• Professional assertiveness to interact and provide counsel/guidance to all levels of Leadership regarding employee performance, business changes, risk analysis and workplace optimization
• Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all levels within an organization, and make decisions while keeping partners and leaders informed
• Superb attributes and proven abilities in issue identification, strategic problem-solving, creativity, influencing, conflict resolution and root-cause analytics
• Ability to portray a professional demeanor and engage with union representatives regarding complex issues and unpredictable dynamics
• Driven by a can-do attitude, ambitious assertiveness and perseverance to work through complex and evolving initiatives; be an advocate to creatively identify options and support workplace changes
• Demonstrated effective verbal communication and technical writing skills are essential Demonstrated strong integration skills
• Confident presentation abilities to deliver Executive report-outs, facilitate training courses, lead meetings and engage in multi-faceted work groups
• Proven experience in applying project management techniques to drive efficient and action-oriented results; managing multiple projects and work streams simultaneously is paramount
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-driven environment via mastered organizational and time management practices
• Strong understanding of all aspects of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) as well as aspect of employment and human resources related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices, including but not limited to Title VII, EEO, ADA and FMLA
• Successful negotiating and collective bargaining experience in employment sectors representing service/hospitality, entertainment, craft maintenance, security and transportation industry
• Ability to speak and write multiple languages
• Bachelor's Degree preferably in field of Industrial Labor Relations, Labor Law or equivalent
• Law or Advanced degree
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of fa