Sr. Manager, Labor Relations
Walt Disney Parks & ResortsAnaheim, CA
Full Time Job
''We create happiness.'' That's our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you'll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
The Senior, Manager, Labor Relations (LR) leads a team of LR professionals based in California while collaborating as a segment team member for Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. Key elements of the role are to negotiate collective bargaining agreements, provide guidance to all levels of Company leaders regarding contract and policy interpretation, serve as a critical thought partner for activation of business growth initiatives and collaborate within the Human Resources Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) community.
• Provide day-to-day leadership to LR professionals by providing guidance on labor acumen and business strategy, modeling effective leadership traits and delivering performance accountability and feedback.
• Serve as a primary point of contact for property-wide leaders, clients and partners.
• Promote knowledge, understanding, interpretation and bargaining of multiple Collective Bargaining Agreements, Company policies and relevant employment laws through consulting, influencing, negotiations, training and presentations.
• Engage with leaders across the WDPR organization to strategically prepare for and engage in contract negotiations and effects bargaining based on significant business growth initiatives.
• Develop the strategy and delivery plan for the primary core services of LR in order to provide business solutions, tools, and resources to effectively apply collective bargaining agreements while positively supporting business objectives and the employee experience.
• Collaborate with other HRDI functional team members through an immersive approach to assess key business drivers, organizational effectiveness and develop and implement integrated action plans. Provide credible LR expertise to advance HRDI and Operations priorities.
• Partner closely with Employee Relations, HR Business Partners and engage Legal counsel to strategically incorporate a holistic approach to grievances, arbitrations, agency charges and impending legal matters.
• Analyze LR data/metrics for themes, trends and root cause identification. Share findings with key partners in order to develop an integrated plan and approach.
• Develop professional relationships and engage with union affiliates.
• Interact and work with team members from Security, Public Affairs, Advisory & Assurance, Work Force Management and Operations Integration to provide labor input and incorporate brand considerations
• Represent the Company as an advocate in grievances, arbitrations as well as interface with state and federal administrative agencies as needed
• Serve as a role model, and demonstrate the value proposition for diversity and inclusion, to include organizational vibrancy, advocating the company's culture and heritage
• Be a change agent to continually maximize departmental innovation and effectives
Professional/Credible Subject Matter Expertise
• Proven experience in negotiations preparation, bargaining, implementation and administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements
• Effective ability to strategically develop a segment approach to multi-contract initiatives and proposals that require labor and operational assessments for alignment vs. differentiation as well as cadenced timing
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate under dynamic and adverse conditions with a forward-thinking approach
• Proven experience and demonstrated understanding of all aspects of labor and human resources related laws, regulations policies, principles and practices including, but not limited to NLRA, Title VII, EEO, ADA, and FMLA; and, associated employment laws in the state of California
• Demonstrated ability to support a client system regarding all aspects of labor relations function including providing counsel on employee performance matters, training and education, effects bargaining, continuous improvement and trend analysis
• Practical knowledge and proven employment related practices such as grievance advocacy, arbitrations and agency charges
• Minimum of three (3) years, developing a team
• Proven capability to lead, motivate, recognize and provide feedback to individuals within a team of diverse labor professionals in a developmental, collaborative, progressive environment
Attributes / Skills / Atmosphere and Work Practices
• Proven business acumen, strong influence and decision-making, and root cause/analysis skills
• Proven ability to effectively manage conflict and challenge thinking of leaders, peers, subordinates and partners
• Professional assertiveness and confidence to interact and provide counsel/guidance to all levels of Leadership regarding employee performance, business changes, risk analysis and workplace optimization
• Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all levels within the organization, and make decisions while keeping partners and leaders informed
• Superb attributes and proven abilities in issue identification, strategic problem-solving, creativity, influencing, conflict resolution and root-cause analytics
• Ability to portray a professional demeanor and engage with unions regarding complex issues and unpredictable dynamics
• Driven by a can-do attitude, ambitious assertiveness and perseverance to work through complex and evolving initiatives; be an advocate to creatively identify options and support workplace changes
• Demonstrated effective verbal communication and technical writing skills are essential
• Demonstrated strong integration skills
• Confident presentation abilities to deliver Executive report-outs, facilitate training courses, lead meetings and engage in multi-faceted work groups
• Proven experience in applying project management techniques to drive efficient and action-oriented results; managing multiple projects and work streams simultaneously is paramount
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-driven environment via mastered organizational and time management practices
• Strong understanding of all aspects of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) as well as aspect of employment and human resources related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices, including but not limited to Title VII, EEO, ADA and FMLA
• Law or Advanced degree
• Proven negotiations and collective bargaining experience in employment sectors representing service/hospitality, entertainment, craft maintenance, security and transportation
• Ability to speak and write multiple languages
• Bachelor's Degree preferably in field of Industrial Labor Relations, Labor Law or equivalent
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt's passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world-a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences - and we're constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciti