Director of Technical Services
VStar EntertainmentMinneapolis, MN
Full Time Job
Primary Objective of Position:
Direct oversight and management of Vstar's technical department that conceptualizes, builds, maintains, services and supports the company's live event productions including internal theatrical touring shows, corporate events, brand activiations and experiential agency projects.
Provide overall leadership and direction on innovative technology and materials for all projects through direct management of the technical shop's hard assets and personnel.
Major Areas of Accountability:
1. Directly responsible for the general management of the annual financial plan for the Technical Services Department.
2. Participates with the SVP of Production & Operations in creating the division business plan, which includes: financial and labor projections, COG estimates, and overhead. Supervises the administrative process necessary to track production manufacturing budgets. Analyze, report, and ensure budget accountability.
3. Oversee R&D development for project integration of existing and upcoming technologies including LED integraton, interactive web-based experiences, engineering of truss systems, show control, tour lighting, audio, video and augmented reality.
4. In conjunction with Technical Director and Creative teams, identifies and recommends appropriate technologies in lighting, audio and video for theatrical productions. Direct oversight in the procurement of equipment, building of tour infrastructure including power distribution, signal racks and cabling systems.
5. Works closely with the Operations Department in assessing and providing adequate show support to the touring properties and other outside clients.
6. Works closely with management team to identify and recommend policies and procedures which will promote improvement in production capabilities, raise revenue, and lower direct cost and overhead by through advance and efficient technology systems.
7. Evaluate projects, from a technical and financial standpoint, to ensure feasibility and success as it relates to budget, schedule and quality. In conjunction with Lighting Shop Manager, foresee and prevent overages in time and money while maintaining the highest quality possible. Participate, as needed, in client meetings with Sales Department to determine specific needs of each project.
8. Participate in all bid reviews, kick-off meetings and post-mortems to ensure that pertinent information is reported and analyzed in an effective manner in order to provide archival information for future projects and reference.
9. Supervision internal employees and contractors. Maintain close working relationships with key staff to oversee the entire manufacturing facility and personnel. Oversee workflow and deadlines while facilitating good communication across all departments.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Additional Performance Criteria:
• 10+ years experience in either one of a multiple of disciplines including but not limited to Technical Theatre, Touring Production Management, Production rental house management, Electrical Engineering, Tour Lighting and/or Audio Visual industries.
• Hands on approach to all projects with willingness to work overtime and do what it takes to complete a project.
• Ability to perform assigned duties and responsibilities under minimal supervision and make accurate and informed decisions, balancing and establishing priorities in relation to workload and time availability.
• Work ethic centered around project completion and motivating direct reports toward a client focused end goal in a fast paced environment
• Willingness to travel as required, performing all aspects of the position.
• Ability to perform in a manner which contributes to an overall team effort with a willingness to assist others as workload requires and time allows.
• Adheres to and enforces all established safety procedures outlined in VPS safety manual.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online