ViacomCBS Networks InternationalLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Paralegal – Broadcaster/Media experience required
Unleash your potential in a place you belong!
Come and join a culture where content, people and ideas merge. An exciting and open place where your talents can truly thrive. Ready? This could be the start of something special.
At ViacomCBS, we have an iconic portfolio of brands, like Paramount, MTV, Nickelodeon, and many more - but it's our employees that make it unique. You could be the next addition to our incredible team.
Is this the role for you?
The Business and Legal Affairs (''BALA'') team in London offers support across the ViacomCBS brands including in relation to its award winning commissioned content and in-house production house which delivers to the entire ViacomCBS portfolio of well-known channel brands and platforms.
This hugely trusted and well respected team works with commissioners, producers and editors across an enviable expanse of programming and content appealing to every demographic of the UK audience, in both public service and commercial broadcasting and content delivery.
This role will provide paralegal support to the BALA team primarily on the commissions side for Channel 5 but also supporting other brands and areas within the BALA team and wider business in line with its demands.
and workflow may change depending on the needs of the business so the ability to adapt to changing requirements is essential.
Supervision by the Director of Business Affairs, Commissions or a direct report and supervision and guidance by other members of the BALA team also.
What will you be doing?
• Negotiating and drafting rights agreements for linear and VOD rights such as Development Agreements, Amendment for additional funding, rights etc. and certain other agreements for the business such as intercompany agreements with ViacomCBS. May include dealing with requests, reviewing, researching clearances and where necessary seeking producer agreement, concluding intercompany agreements based on agreed templates and where appropriate, the producer agreements.
• Acting as a legal support for other more senior members of the team.
• Liaising with other areas of the business and assisting with queries from them e.g. questions of interpretation of contracts.
• May involve some responsibility for accurately recording rights into the company's rights management system and dealing with system queries as required.
• Assisting with and where appropriate, drafting and negotiating (with supervision and guidance where required), other rights related agreements such as voice-over, presenter, contributor, location, access and other agreements relating to commissioned programmes.
• Assisting with regulatory reporting.
• As the business requires, drafting other agreements such as 1st draft production agreements.
• Assisting with clip licenses if required.
• Act as a general legal support for other members of the team including assisting with drafting and ad hoc projects which may include rights audits, research, writing practice notes.
• Contributing towards team initiatives and best practice workflows including improving contract templates and process as required.
• Where required due to work overflow and backfill, data entry of rights into contract rights management system, managing and updating information accordingly.
• Liaising with external parties such as independent producers regarding rights matters, eg extending programme rights, obtaining clearances.
• Liaising with other areas of the business including Finance and Scheduling Departments, eg resolving month end transmission queries; Programme Management (re deal making and production related issues); Commissioning departments (re editorial); and Digital Rights Group re VOD where required.
• Advising on contract interpretation including providing contract summaries where required.
• Carrying out ad hoc administrative tasks where required.
• To cover certain administrative tasks usually carried out by the team assistant in the event of holidays and absences, if required, including arranging signature and filing of agreements, recording and archiving agreements and updating the CA work slate.
What are we looking for?
• Suits someone with prior experience of working for a broadcaster or media organisation or as a Paralegal in a media law firm.
• The ability to draft and negotiate in writing and verbally a variety of rights agreements.
• Capturing rights on internal rights management system.
• Knowledge of the rights and scheduling systems at ViacomCBS or similar systems would be an advantage e.g. IBMS (previous system) or What's On (current system).
• Excellent IT skills on all major systems including Word, Excel, Outlook, (Powerpoint).
• Experience of broadcast rights, rights management, rights exploitation and scheduling.
• Knowledge and understanding of contracts.
• Understanding of rights clearance.
• Good knowledge of rights in the context of TV and beyond and acquiring the best rights position in such negotiations.
• Excellent knowledge of database management.
We offer an inclusive environment where you can really be yourself and find your niche. You'll get to work alongside streaming platforms you can be proud of, with content that touches millions of lives. Plus, you can learn about the things we're doing to make the industry more sustainable, and enjoy lots of perks:
• A monthly streaming fund
• All the health and financial benefits you'd expect, and some you wouldn't
• Flexibility to own the way you work
• Mental health activities and support
• All manner of BBQs, socials and events
What are you waiting for? Put in your application!
Our values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
Optimism & Determination
We share a positive belief that we can navigate and thrive in the landscape ahead.
Inclusivity & Collaboration
We Embrace new and diverse voices, act with care and work together to capture opportunities and manager through challenges.
Agility & Adaptability
We think entrepreneurially, are resilient in change and move quickly to anticipate and create what's next.