Senior Director, Production Finance
ViacomLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Senior Director Production Finance for the Viacom Media Networks Domestic Group is a position that assists in financial oversight and management of the budgeting, reporting, forecasting, and performance tracking activities for VMN Domestic Brands’ bicoastal Scripted and Unscripted Development and Series Productions.
include partnering with Programming Finance, Production Management, and various internal departments teams across VMN Domestic Brands’ with regards to accounting and financial overview for all production and network analysis as well as the growth, development, and training of staff.
• You will lead, create, and establish the overall production finance department's policies, procedures, and standard methodologies.
• Day to day oversight of the management of finances and relationships for bicoastal development & series and supporting both Internal and 3rd Party productions.
• You lead production accounting and analysis of scripted/unscripted development and series productions. Partner with production finance team in the creation/review of production budgets, conduct ongoing meetings with production to analyze the current status of the budget to identify areas for reallocating funds or potential deficiencies.
• Ensure consistent Cost Report and Trial Balance reporting reviews with Production Exec and 3rd Party partners and internal production touchpoints, timely EFC updates and true-ups, and production post-mortems, including production cash flow planning/analysis and variance explanations.
• Contract review and analysis in conjunction with Production Execs and BALA as needed.
• Oversight for the process and workflow when using union signatories that are funded and handled by Viacom.
• You review overall deals related to Executive Producers & Talent, ensuring internal contractual obligations are tracked and paid.
• Touchpoint for 3rd party production finance counterparts at the senior management level regarding budget, residuals, license fees, agency/package fees, and all relevant production finance materials.
• Recommend to bicoastal production finance direct reports working with series line producers and production management on performance measures, planning around production schedules, and financial control procedures.
• Lead partnership with Viacom Tax team, Production Management, internal production and 3rd parties to ensure production tax credits are accurately calculated, recognized and completed. This includes reviewing the preparation, submission and tracking of tax docs and financial backup and recoupment.
• Analyze and review actuals vs. budgets and estimates and research variances; identifying risks and opportunities, ensuring that all data is properly loaded into the financial systems. Partner with senior teams on findings and lead information to relevant client groups.
• You lead requests regarding series production matters, production cash flows, journal entries, etc. and internal/external audit requests as necessary.
• You possess 10 years experience in finance/accounting, preferably within the media/entertainment landscape. Of that, 5 years in a leadership role.
• Working knowledge/experience with production accounting software (PSL, Global Vista, SMART Accounting).
• Prior production accounting and/or production finance experience preferred with knowledge of the entertainment industry, especially TV production.
• You possess strong working knowledge of accounting for episodic scripted/unscripted TV shows and/or previous experience in corporate accounting/finance setting preferred.
• You are highly proficient in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint skills
• Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or related field.
• You appreciate/pay attention to detail but possesses the ability to see the bigger picture and understands the relevance.
• Efficiency, speed, accuracy, focused approach to job, and strong interpersonal skills.
• Adhere to confidential nature of highly sensitive material
• Excellent leadership, teamwork, critical thinking and communication skills
• Ability to forge partnerships with producers, production managers and studio executives.
• Experience with SAP and Longview Solutions a plus.
• Ability to solve problems/be inquisitive, organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Ability to be improvement oriented and have an innovative perspective.