Senior Director, Copy- Catalyst
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Senior Director, Copy helps oversee and directs the editorial staff, freelance writers and projects on a daily basis. S/he sets strategy, messaging and voice, and provides creative direction to determine what is most effective for each client, marketplace and project across print, video, multimedia/online and merchandise. The ideal candidate provides creative direction to print, merchandise, video and online projects by giving creative and strategic guidance to writer/designer teams. S/he acts as a team leader across various areas to develop solutions and procedures to meet a client's goals and drive the team towards a solution.
The Senior Director, Copy conceives, develops and writes creative print, video, digital and merchandise materials for Viacom corporate departments, including Human Resources, Viacom HQ, Ad Sales, Content Distribution and Marketing, Corporate Communications and Special Events and other internal partners. S/he works closely with VP, Brand Strategy; other writers and design, video and project management staff on the most effective visual and verbal execution of projects, review current materials and meet with clients to present materials and discuss strategy.
S/he works closely with supervisor, senior department members, writers and design staff on the most effective execution of projects, and meets with clients to present materials and discuss strategy. S/he partners with project managers to manage project from start to finish.
The Senior Director, Copy works alongside VP Brand Strategy and Director/Copy Editor to aggregate, assess and oversee freelancers, either in-house or external.
• Minimum 10 years of experience setting creative and strategic direction, copywriting and copy editing, and managing writers.
• In addition, integrated experience in an Advertising or In-house Media Agency. Entertainment, Lifestyle, Consumer marketing experience preferred.
• B.A. required. English or Journalism major preferred.
• M.A. in English or writing helpful, but not required.
• Experienced leadership skills and ability to set creative and strategic direction
• Knowledge of marketplace
• Strategic branding and marketing skills
• Excellent editorial writing, copywriting, organizational and communication skills;
• The ability to manage up; strong presentation skills; ability to build and lead teams, and to work with and coordinate staff; extensive management and/or mentoring experience; ability to work with design staff; detail-oriented; excellent interpersonal skills; proofreading skills; ability to formulate budgets and schedules.
• Creativity and the ability to adhere to deadlines are a must.