Senior Counsel - Production Clearances
Full Time Job
Senior Counsel - Production Clearances, Paramount Television
This position is responsible for managing the Production Clearances team within the Intellectual Property group and overseeing all clearances-related duties and processes at Paramount Pictures across all motion picture and television projects.
will include but are not limited to:
• Researching and analyzing complex questions regarding a wide array of legal issues, such as copyright, trademark, privacy, right of publicity, and defamation, related to the development, production, marketing, and distribution of motion picture and television projects.
• Playing a central role, in conjunction with other members of the Intellectual Property group, in evaluating, implementing, and refining, as necessary, the Studio’s clearances-related policies, practices, and processes.
• Managing and overseeing a team of clearances professionals tasked with making clearance-related determinations with respect to all motion picture and television projects at the Studio. Team’s responsibilities include: (i) reviewing written and audio-visual material for clearance-related issues; (ii) evaluating investigative and research reports; (iii) coordinating third-party clearance requests; (iv) preparing and disseminating clearance indices and advertising/promotional restrictions memoranda, and providing guidance with respect thereto, to all relevant constituencies; and (v) serving as the primary clearances-related conduit to all film and television production teams.
• Advising Studio executives, filmmakers, and showrunners, among others, on issues related to production clearances across all stages of development, pre-production, production, post-production, marketing, publicity, and distribution.
• Working closely with members of other groups within the Legal department with respect to clearance-related matters, such as the Motion Picture, Marketing, Home Entertainment, Paramount Television, Themed Entertainment, and Corporate legal teams.
• Representing the Studio externally regarding clearances-related requests, negotiations, and agreements (e.g., with third-party rightsholders and/or their representatives).
• Communicating effectively with all levels of management and senior management within the Studio, and within Viacom more broadly, with respect to legal- and business-related risks, assessments, and determinations related to production clearances issues.
• In coordination with other members of the Studio’s Intellectual Property group, helping manage intellectual property-related legal claims and disputes, including coordinating factual research, developing legal positions and strategies, and working with outside counsel and across business units as necessary.
• BA/BS and JD degrees
• Licensed to practice law in California (as Member of California State Bar or as California Registered In-House Counsel)
• Minimum seven (7) years prior experience with intellectual property law and litigation, preferably in areas related to film or television
• Prior intellectual property-related experience in the film and/or television industries, especially in areas related to production clearances, pre-release/pre-distribution content review, and production-related legal counseling
• Extensive experience with and knowledge of copyright, trademark, defamation, right of publicity, and privacy law
• Proven management abilities and skills
• Team player with superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Ability to exercise sound commercial and legal judgment, and to handle multiple matters simultaneously and independently
• Proven negotiation skills
• Proven ability to develop an intellectual property strategy
• Motivated, focused, and well-organized with a demonstrated ability to work under tight time pressures