Full Time Job
Job Title: Publicist, Comedy Central and VIMN
Department: Communications Hub
Reporting: Head of PR and International Events – Comedy Central
Location: Hawley Crescent
An exciting role for a dynamic and enthusiastic self-starter with a can-do attitude, the publicist will be joining a newly formed creative comms hub, with a core focus on Comedy Central.
The successful candidate will be responsible for project managing a range of campaigns for comedy shows and events to support business objectives as well as becoming an active member of the brand PR team. Reporting into the Head of PR, the successful applicant will love working in a truly integrated 360 team, where it will be crucial to align PR with creative, marketing, media planning and digital teams to maximise impact. The publicist is also required to help support the roll out of key PR initiatives providing assets and aligning announcements across the business.
As a talented and ambitious PR, the successful candidate should have excellent written skills, with an adaptable style to suit consumer press releases, social media feeds, news alerts, internal communications and strategy documents. A dedicated and tenacious team player, the Publicist for Comedy Central and VIMN should take full ownership of their work, delivering to deadlines under pressure and taking the initiative to over deliver wherever possible. The successful candidate should have excellent relationships with key media contacts (both online and print) within the entertainment and comedy industry and have previous experience working with production companies and talent. Social media integration & outreach for publicity campaign is a key priority, with a track record of working creatively to target influencers across platforms including Twitter, Facebook, You Tube and Instagram.
The candidate will be the first port of call when it comes to press enquiries and campaigns for Comedy Central UK but there will also be the opportunity for the candidate to work on PR campaigns across the VIMN portfolio including Channel 5, MTV and Nickelodeon.
Comedy Central is a leading Pay TV General Entertainment channel and is part of Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN). A joint venture between VIMN (75%) and BSkyB (25%), Comedy Central airs on Sky, Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT Vision, YouView, VUTV on Freeview and on UPC in the Republic of Ireland, as well as being a leading creator of programming and content across all media platforms. Since launching in the UK in April 2009, Comedy Central’s ratings have gone up 42% and share has grown by a phenomenal 69%.
The channel broadcasts a mix of hit US acquisitions and original UK productions targeting a 16-34 year-old audience. Popular shows include Impractical Jokers, The Middle, South Park and Friends. In 2015 Comedy Central aired its first two international commissions, Brotherhood and I Live With Models, and two new local commissions, Drunk History and Russell Howard’s Stand Up Central, also debuted on the channel in the UK. In addition to the main Comedy Central channel are Comedy Central 1, Comedy Central Extra and Comedy Central Extra 1 providing audiences with more viewing opportunities and more fantastic content.
• First contact all journalist & viewer queries and requests for Comedy Central
• Execution of campaigns briefed in for priority new shows & events; developing and pitching news stories, features and talent interviews
• Developing digital & online coverage by developing contacts across a variety of websites and placing clips, pictures and news pieces
• Nurture key relationships with influencers, digital outlets as well as traditional print, online and broadcast media
• Work collaboratively in an integrated team within the Hub to support business objectives.
• Manage talent as part of publicity campaigns, from photo-shoots to stunts and press junkets
• Key point of contact for both Comedy Central publicity projects and also support teams and projects across the VIMN portfolio
• Managing events and press attendance, including talent management, travel and hosting responsibilities on press trips
• Proactive liaising with content suppliers, internally and externally
• Experience in reading production schedules in order to highlight key promotional opportunities.
• Deliver creative, strategic and proactive PR campaigns
• Work seamlessly within the hub to create impactful 360 campaigns
• Combine creativity with knowledge of the media to recognise media angles and generate positive coverage across a broad media and influencer spectrum; ensure campaign integration across all platforms including social media
• Monitoring and review progress and impact of projects against agreed timelines and ensure all campaigns are delivered on time and within budget
• Monitor media platforms to identify opportunities
• Idea facilitation to help keep the team creatively vibrant and encourage creativity and proactivity within the brand hub
• Organise stunts, events, launches, screenings and other creative influencer activities
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
• Exceptional publicity skills – a strong understanding of the media landscape (traditional and digital), editorial requirements and what makes a story – a keen ‘nose for news’
• Solid experience within the PR/TV/entertainment/media industry or on leading consumer brands (agency experience preferable but not essential)
• Experience in running a reactive and pro-active press office, handling incoming press enquiries and escalating any crises led issues
• Excellent media contacts – from national print and online, to TV and radio
• Creative and strategic thinker with proven track record of delivering high impact, fast paced, creative campaigns
• A true creative digital native with a passion for socially driven PR ideas – whether admiring the work of others or applying the thinking to own ideas
• Understanding of how to work with the digital and marketing teams to extend a brand’s visibility with strong and shareable ideas
• Polished communications professional with excellent negotiator, presenter, influencer and relationship management skills
• Strong organisational and time management skills and ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure and on multiple projects simultaneously
• Self starter / confidence in working with senior stakeholders across the wider business and internationally
• Tech-savvy with a demonstrable understanding and experience of the social media landscape and platforms including YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, Vine, Instagram etc
• Experience in working with bloggers / vloggers
• Excellent writing ability – from press releases, to strategy documents and social postings
• Self-starter, personable and adaptable team player
• Integrated approach towards traditional and digital media
• Take a proactive and flexible approach to work and be comfortable within a dynamic, fast paced Hub
• To be fully conversant with o
The Viacom brand PR team is part of a newly formed cross brand creative, media and social hub, with the ambition of becoming the best consumer comms team in the media and broadcast industry dedicated to delivering innovative, creative and news-agenda driving communications strategies that leverage all platforms across our consumer brands including Channel 5, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon.