Product Director, Data Platform
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Reporting to the Vice President - Data Platform, the Product Director will develop and support a suite of data solutions used by marketing, advertising, product, and research teams to understand and engage with millions of fans across the globe. You will maintain a holistic perspective on user/business needs, vendor capabilities, and the costs/benefits of using internal vs. external capabilities to meet challenges. You will be able to wring clarity from ambiguity, earning trust from technical partners and non-technical partners by actively listening and responding with solutions. You will have a balanced combination of technical chops, account management capabilities (for internal clients), and general product management know-how.
• Steer the convergence of tools, projects, and processes for collecting, managing, analyzing, and activating user data at an enterprise level.
• Evangelize Data Platform capabilities throughout Viacom, both generating excitement and cultivating feedback loops to help craft future direction.
• Prioritize projects through cross-team alignment, balancing the short-term and long-term needs of a diverse group of partners. Ensure that engineering resources remain focused on the highest value deliverables.
• Manage end-to-end execution of projects off a backlog, delivering value on-time, under budget, and with exceptional quality.
• Implement new workflows by partnering with business group leads and supporting them with resources and tools.
• Continuously improve operations by implementing changes based on feedback.
• Manage consulting hours, ensuring that teams have the resources and training needed to use offerings effectively.
• Identify and address latent needs by introducing new technologies, vendors, and data sets to the organization through demos and proof of concepts.
• Provide well-reasoned recommendations to senior management regarding fundamental evolutions to toolsets.
• May manage one or more direct reports.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in CS or Data-related field.
• 5 years of experience working with data - preferably in both business and technical contexts.
• 5 years running projects from conception to completion, working with engineers to translate partner needs into scalable products/features.
• Hands on experience with Data Management Platforms and/or Customer Data Platforms.
• Experience bringing big data infrastructure to traditional companies.
• Understanding of the workflows that analysts and data scientists use to ship insights.
• Familiarity with SQL, Python or R, and star schema design.
• Familiarity with distributed computing environments (Spark, etc.) and databases (Redshift, Snowflake, etc.)
• Experience with Self Service Business Intelligence Tools (Domo, Looker, Tableau, etc.)
• Working knowledge of AWS or Google data platform capabilities
• Adopt ownership/accountability, but be able to do so in a collaborative fashion.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills backed up by subject matter expertise - one is no good without the other in this role.
• Ability to articulate the strengths and weaknesses of various database technologies and data visualization tools.
• Innate ability to quickly translate business needs to technical requirements.
• Resourceful, and knows how to take initiative to support customer needs.
• Collaborator with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships.
• Project management, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Organized, with a strong work ethic, attention to detail, and sense of urgency.
• Comprehension of the media and technology services business landscape.
• Functions independently with limited work direction.