Product Development Designer
Full Time Job
PD Designer (Hard Lines)
PD Designer, Hardlines
FTC 22 Months
The Product Development Designer position sits within the London office of Nickelodeon and Viacom Consumer Products (part of Viacom International Media Networks). NVCP are responsible for the licensing management and product development across the successful portfolio of Viacom brands including Paw Patrol, Nella the Princess Night, Shimmer and Shine, Blaze, Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob Squarepants, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and MTV.
The team based in London provide support to the International business, (Asia, EMEA, America’s) as well as regional and local support across Business and Legal, Finance, Sales, Brand Management (strategy, planning) and Creative (asset development, product development, marketing, retail and promotional materials).
Working within the EMEA Product Development team for Hardlines, who manage the EMEA product approvals for Toys, Games & Puzzles, Consumer Electronics, Food, Health and Beauty, this role will focus on the day to day management of product approvals and provide creative support to our external partners and licensees.
As part of the international arm of the Global creative team, the Product Development Designer, Hardlines sits within the EMEA Product Development team and reports to the Senior Product Development Manager, EMEA ANZ
• Responsible for the day to day management of product approvals from concept to production for specific EMEA Hardlines licensees.
• Provide design direction, creative support and feedback to licensees across relevant projects to ensure brand values and product quality are maintained.
• Develop and maintain successful working relationships with both internal and external partners and attend key licensee meetings when relevant.
• Work with the Senior Product Development Manager and wider design team to initiate creative development meetings with specific partners to discuss the brands, asset availability and submissions process for the purpose of achieving a better business understanding and working relationship between the Creative Team and the partner.
• Provide research, development and execution of original creative projects as appropriate (potential product and retail pitch opportunities)
• Work with the wider PD team and BALA team to ensure all product development is in line with terms outlined in contracts.
• Curate all relevant assets within the internal system to ensure all licensees have the relevant assets they need for their development.
• Support the development of the business strategies and assist in identifying new business opportunities for our properties in assigned categories and regions
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of creative trends and product development including identify potential new product categories and opportunities.
• Commit to consistently improve creative development – push the creative boundaries of traditional approaches to develop innovative, business relevant and original creative solutions for our brands.
Role Specific Skills/Attributes;
The ideal candidate would have:
• BA/BSc or Technical College qualification related to design and product field
• Experience working within product development, ideally within a toy licensing environment.
• Competent understanding of the licensing industry, including licensing contracts and agreements.
• Essential – excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite especially Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator and have strong creative and design skills, including concept ideation and sketching.
• Intermediate experience within the Microsoft Office programs – Excel, Word PPT.
• A second language is preferable.
• Design experience within children’s product development is preferable.
• Experience working within Retail design is preferable.
• Highly organised and able to manage multiple projects in various stages simultaneously, with excellent time management skills.
• A strong decision maker. Can prioritise well, manage a high pressure environment and work to tight deadlines.
• Possesses a positive attitude, is solutions focused and has an energetic approach to work.
• Flexibility, self motivated and an ability to work independently
• Pro-active team player and highly responsive to requests
• Creative flair – natural ability to work with trends and product development concepts