Full Time Job
Contract type: 12 month, fixed term contract
This fixed term role has arisen as result of work overflow in the Business Affairs, Commissions team, during a busy period primarily due to new business requests. The person will be required to work on/manage rights clearance projects, involving checking contracts and systems, interpreting the wording and logging the information in an accurate manner. Attention to detail is paramount.
In addition, the Paralegal will be required to work on general Paralegal and low-level legal support for the team as detailed below. It is a busy team and flexibility is essential.
may also include but not be limited:
• Managing rights clearance projects for the business.
• Negotiating and drafting rights agreements from templates e.g. Development Agreements, Amendment, rights extensions etc. May include negotiating and concluding agreements with producers.
• Acting as a legal support for other more senior members of the team.
• May involve some responsibility for accurately recording rights into the company’s rights management system or rights document and dealing with system queries as required.
• Assisting with and where appropriate, drafting and negotiating other rights related agreements such as voice-over, presenter, contributor, location, access etc.
• As the business requires, drafting other agreements such as 1st draft production agreements.
• Liaising with Finance and Scheduling Departments, eg resolving month end transmission queries; Programme Management (re deal making and production related issues); Commissioning departments (re editorial); and Digital Rights Group re VOD where required.
• Advising on contract interpretation including providing contract summaries where required.
• Carrying out ad hoc administrative tasks where required.
Experience & Knowledge:
• Suits someone with prior experience of working for a broadcaster, production company or media organisation or as a Paralegal in a media law firm.
• The ability to draft and negotiate in writing and verbally a variety of rights agreements.
• Capturing rights on Channel 5’s rights management system or logs where required.
• Knowledge of rights systems would be an advantage.
• Excellent IT skills on all major systems including Word, Excel, Outlook, (Powerpoint).
• Experience of broadcast rights, rights management, rights exploitation and scheduling.
• Knowledge and understanding of contracts, rights clearance and copyright.
VIACOM CORE COMPETENCIES
• Communicates and Listens
• Builds Relationships
• Influences and Negotiates
• Takes Initiative
• Manages the Work
• Composure and Flexibility
• Acts with Integrity Thinking and Problem Solving
• Develops creative products and solutions
• Judgment and analysis
• Thinks strategically
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
• Communicates effectively with employees
• Creates a positive and inclusive working environment
• Defines, directs and delegates work
• Develops people through feedback and coaching
WHAT ARE OUR BENEFITS
• Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (From 3 months)
• Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
• TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll get £20 off your bill
• Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
• Discounted Gym Membership: We offer discounts to a number of Gyms
• Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate
• Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
WHAT ARE OUR CORE VALUES
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. We want these to feel relevant to all of our employees and all parts of the business, as we believe that when these behaviours are achieved, we are the best we can be. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
- Creativity: Push beyond the expected
- Passion: Stand up for what you believe in
- Risk-Taking: Take smart choices
- Inclusion: Embrace diverse perspectives
- Collaboration: Work together as one team
- Innovation: Use insights to drive the business
- Trust: Assume best intentions
- Transparency: Communicate clearly and openly
- Accountability: Deliver, and own the outcome
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.