ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Manger, Contracts is a key role within the Global Location Based Experiences (‘LBE’) and International Consumer Products (‘CP’) legal team that is responsible for ensuring fast, efficient and consistent turnaround times for all deals across all territories worldwide whilst providing the business with a high level of professional service at all times.
• Autonomously managing, drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex cross-jurisdictional contracts for LBE (hotels, theme parks, live shows/ events) and CP (toy, publishing, merchandise, content, digital and promotions);
• Maintaining relationships internally and externally (i.e. agents and licensees);
• Liaising with intellectual property team regarding IP infringement matters and supporting Senior Counsel with day to day IP protection matters;
• Liaising with global CP franchise planning team to facilitate implementation of various strategic initiatives;
• Preparing reports, performing research, and assisting with counterfeit sightings, debt collection and litigation matters as required;
• Acting as lead CP BALA contact for all international bankruptcy matters and regularly reporting on same to Senior Counsel, CP BALA and Senior Counsel, Viacom Corporate.
• Maintaining templates and suggesting updates; and creating new templates, as requested.
• Assisting Senior Counsel and/or VP of BALA on special projects as/when instructed; and assisting other Junior Contracts Managers and Senior Contracts Managers as required.
• Supervising work of the Junior Contract Manager and Intern from time to time;
• Experienced paralegal;
• 5 years’ experience autonomously drafting and leading negotiations of a variety of complex agreements and amendments;
• 2 years’ management experience essential;
• Strong understanding of IP and contracts law required;
• 7 years’ experience working in-house preferred, but will consider applicants from private practice background that have had 7 years’ experience managing own transactional matters and dealing directly with clients;
• Basic understanding of EU competition law preferred;
• Strong commercial awareness;
• Able to succinctly explain key issues and provide practical and actionable advice/solutions to business teams;
• Strong attention to detail;
• Ability to understand numbers in business/financial context;
• Excellent time management;
• Accuracy and speed to ensure fast and efficient turnaround times;
• Able to cope with demanding workload and maintain high standards under pressure;
• Able to work well both independently and with other team members, other internal departments, agents and licensees;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly across cultures and languages;
• Willing and able to assist other team members with drafting contracts/amendments as/when required; and providing excellent and professional service at all times.