Director Of Broadcast Engineering
Full Time Job
You provide director level technical leadership oversight of cross-disciplinary Broadcast Engineering team specializing in complex technical solutions for media delivery, playout, publishing, compression and distribution applications.
Key Technical Expertise:
• Demonstrates broad experience in the detailed design, build, and commissioning of technical systems including linear broadcast playout, video compression, live streaming, content workflow management, content ingest, storage, transformation, IP networks including multicast, WAN video distribution, file delivery and acceleration, with the ability to identify and leverage technical experts in different specialized fields.
• Demonstrates knowledge in baseband HD/SD video, transport stream distribution, video/audio encoding, in-band and out-of-band metdata payloads, OTT streaming architectures and technologies, advanced IP networking including multicast and video contribution/distribution.
• Familiar with Agile project management techniques, capable of managing an Agile team to tight timelines
• Familiar with global file delivery/acceleration products in a media enterprise environment
• Familiar with industry developments in key technical areas of standardization, and can articulate benefits/risks of various technology solutions.
• Exercises judgment and influence on key technical decisions (for example, standards and policies, environment selection, technical solutions).
• Leads multiple Media Engineering projects either directly or through team members. This typically includes:
• Ensuring that projects are on time, on budget and meet the needs of the business.
• Developing or ensuring the development of accurate and thorough budget forecasts at the project and departmental levels.
• Establishing plans that prioritize initiatives, based on an understanding of the needs of the business.
• Ensuring resources and organization structure are in place and operating effectively.
• Anticipating conflicting needs, including interdependencies with other initiatives, and dedicatedly resolving them.
• Integrating resources effectively, including resources under direct control, or by way of contractors and vendors.
• Possesses deep understanding of the business customers including their business objectives, functional processes and interpersonal dynamics.
• Maintains a general awareness of the competitive landscape.
• Maintains an awareness of standard methodologies in the technology industry and implements forward-looking best of breed solutions.
• Possesses knowledge about the business of Viacom, including the key work processes and success factors of different units and functions.
• Transforms Viacom strategies into executable plans and goals for the Engineering team for the next 18 to 24 months, aligning with VP Engineering on key business and technical requirements, standards, and methodologies.
• Leverages Key Technical Expertise to lead a small team of design engineers to implement critical Capital projects to meet the needs of Operations and technical support teams.
• Responsible/accountable for full project lifecycle management of engineering buildouts and cross-disciplinary technical projects, from customer discovery through systems design, build, commissioning and acceptance testing.
• Embodies and exemplifies the key values of Ownership/Accountability, Transparency, Communication and Customer Service
• Owns departmental relationships with third party contractors and systems integrators who perform physical installations in broadcast origination technical centers and traditional IT data centers.
• Accountable for handling established technical and departmental budgets, including adjusting tactical implementation and reallocating funding as priorities shift.
• Mobilizes and facilitates team goal-setting, establishing specific plans, projects and objectives needed to accomplish these goals and ensuring their attainment. Enthusiastically mentors and trains direct reports, to continually improve engineering performance and customer service
• Partners with and integrates across other areas of Viacom Media Technology Services, working with other areas, resolving conflicts and managing competing priorities, to provide a complete solution.
• Interacts regularly with business partners to provide technology solutions; develops strong relationships with business partners and staff to develop solutions collaboratively.
• Balances and negotiates the needs of multiple users and communicates the business advantages of various technical solutions.
• Forms productive networks with internal and external business partners.
• Seen by business partners and MTS colleagues as a key resource to raise problems and to receive guidance and complete solutions.
• Communicates clearly and precisely with all levels of the company.
• Works autonomously to implement and achieve objectives for their unit(s), seeking guidance to ensure alignment with global strategies and organizational objectives.
• Actively develops the talent in their area, co-constructing performance goals, objectives and development plans; and providing ongoing constructive performance feedback.
• Delegates work and monitors work quality for particularly complex or sensitive tasks.
• You will possess 8 years of relevant experience and BA/BS degree or equivalent. Advanced degree highly desirable.