Coordinator, Music and Media Licensing
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Coordinator, Music and Media Licensing Business and Legal Affairs
The Coordinator will be responsible for negotiating favorable rates and securing rights for material (music and other media) across all Viacom Media Network programming and projects. The ideal candidate will be able to accurately analyze contract and license agreements, draw conclusions from working knowledge of issues that impact the area of rights licensing including copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues. This position will report to the VP, Music and Media Licensing Business and Legal Affairs.
• Work closely and communicate regularly with production, production management, music supervisors and within the business and legal affairs department.
• Finalize, record, and track rights information and all aspects related to licensing, including but not limited to drafting licenses and payment processing. Function as project leader on special assignments.
• Work with multiple clearance teams on projects assigned by Sr. Director and/or Vice President. Projects could include long and short form programming for linear and digital platforms, promos, third party productions, in house productions, re-clearances and more.
• Working knowledge of legal concepts related to licensing
• Established relationships within the licensing community
• Expertise in licensing for all types of media platforms
• Comprehensive understanding of music rights
• Facilitate clearance requests by working closely with content producers in researching copyright ownership and by researching rights to pre-existing VMN material as necessary.
• Negotiate licenses and permissions with copyright owners of music, film, TV, video games, digital content, books, magazines, record label content, artist management, etc. Track and process all payments.
• Collect and review cue sheets for all programming.
• License in rights that cover exhibition across multiple platforms including linear, digital, social media, mobile, apps , games etc.
• Guide and advise Third Party productions enforcing VMN’s policies throughout production.
• Receive, review and approve all deliverables including license agreements, guest releases, cue sheets, etc.
• Participate in workshops for client groups, and build and foster good working relationships within Viacom Media Networks and within the licensing community.
• Collect deliverables, including guest/location agreements, license agreements and talent agreements when applicable.
• Report discrepancies or missing information to Producers and follow up to insure proper completion.
• Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking grids and over the phone/via email.
• Work closely with these areas and proactively suggest cost-saving options and alternatives.
• Vet content prior to posting, (which may entail multiple screeners per program as show changes during the editing process) to ensure necessary clearances are in place and route to VMN attorneys when necessary.
• Review releases and agreements to ensure that they conform to negotiated terms. Maintain contract files and tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner.
• Secure and approve music cue sheets, and show logs (if required) from in-house producers and/or third party productions.
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in television, music and entertainment field
• BA in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Business or similar preferred.
• Ability to read and analyze license agreements.
• Experience in a business affairs, rights & clearances, or licensing capacity.
• Ability to make effective presentations on rights and licensing related topics to client groups and employees.
• Ability to effectively negotiate with licensors via email, phone, and in-person. Interpersonal skills are necessary to supervise and develop staff (e.g.; must be able to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints).
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations, e.g.; budgeting, tracking reports, controlled portions of compositions/fees.
• Ability to accurately analyze contract and license agreements. Ability to draw conclusions from working knowledge of issues that impact the area of rights licensing including copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues.