Content Director, Vidcon
Full Time Job
The VidCon Content Director sets editorial direction and manages the company’s content efforts devoted to engaging the VidCon audience year-round on the web, social networks, video platforms and podcasting services. The Content Director is tasked with developing cross team editorial plans, building and maintaining a comprehensive editorial calendar, assigning editorial stories, writing, producing and editing video, text and image/graphic assets, and managing a web producer / editor.
The ideal candidate will have both a strategic editorial vision, as well as an ability to roll up sleeves and create content as part of a two-person content team. The Content Director will also work closely with other groups at VidCon – specifically the conference content team and the marketing team – to align stories, posts and other editorial content to complement other efforts at VidCon.
• Launch, run and grow a year-round content organization within the larger VidCon conference organization
• Develop content plans and editorial workflow and calendars
• Produce content relevant to our three distinct audiences and our 3 adjacent audiences – with an early focus on the community/fan audience
• Manage workflow and output with a writer/producer to create 10 pieces of content daily across our channels
• Provide strategic direction for our content channels and design
• Create graphic elements that tie into our overall brand messaging
• Develop a unique voice that resonates with our target audiences, but also one that dovetails with VidCon’s broader corporate goals
• Set viewership, view and share goals in partnership with the GM, and report weekly on progress to meeting those goals
• Build and maintain strong relationships with key content leads at other Viacom properties
• All other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience, journalism degree a plus
• Minimum 5 years’ experience of successful content creation experience, with at least 2 years covering the online video market
• Experience communicating with senior-level executive stakeholders
• Knowledge of leveraging live events as a vehicle to drive year-round content goals
• Demonstrated creativity, innovation and initiative
• Passion for Online video- particularly on the fan / community side
• Exceptional computer skills, including Google Docs, Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
• Deep understanding of the inner workings of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Web from an SEO and audience development perspective
• Ability to write snappy headlines and conceptualize thumbnails that will drive viewership
• Excellent written communication
• Minimum 2 years’ experience with HTML and website production, experience with Word Press a plus
• A superstar with demonstrated success in cost effectively increasing traffic to digital properties.
• Extremely knowledgeable and proven experience in the use of Social Media, Social Network and Blogs for the distribution of digital media content.
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to balance creative thinking with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
• Travel up to 20%