Full Time Job
Job Title: Commissioning Editor
Reporting to: Ben Frow, Director of Programming
Location: Hawley Crescent, Camden, London
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Do you want to work for an award winning broadcaster within a talented Commissioning team? As Commissioning Editor you will identify, commission and oversee new programming across all our genres (from Features, through Docs through Specialist Factual) to play across peak on C5. You will work with Ben Frow, our Director of Programming, and the Commissioning team on new ideas to build on the success of C5 and its digital portfolio.
• Review and respond to programming proposals, both requested and unsolicited
• Oversee all aspects of productions:
o Dealing with business and legal issues (in conjunction with relevant departments at Channel 5)
o Focussing on editorial concerns during both production and post-production
• Develop new areas of programming across all genres
• Generate ideas with the department for specific schedule slots
• Represent Channel 5 editorial on location for live events
• Work with Marketing on on-air and off air promotions
• Regular liaison with production companies and talent to develop new ideas and areas of programming
• Consider 5* and 5USA as part of all of the above to determine how programming opportunities can be maximised across all the Channel 5 family of channels
• Be alert to alternative sources of funding, whether co-production or non-governmental, as well as commercial opportunities (books, DVDs etc.)
• Awareness of diversity issues and making appropriate commissioning decisions
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
• Experience of working within a broadcaster, with independent production companies, as a producer OR in Development
• Energy, passion and enthusiasm
• A hard work ethic
• Good understanding of TV audiences and the TV landscape and how it’s evolving
• A team player
• Understanding of production schedules and budget management
• Understanding and experience of legal, compliance and rights issues
• Good editorial judgement
• Competitive, ambitious and driven to succeed
• Capacity for creative problem solving
• Ability to generate new ideas for the Channel 5 family of channels
At Viacom we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure that Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available here.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.