Associate UX Researcher
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Associate UX Researcher is an integral part of Viacom Media Networks, working as a core member of the Product Design team and reporting to the Manager of UX Research. The candidate will assist the UX Research Manager in all user testing activities to inform UX and UI design solutions for the multiplatform product suite across Global Entertainment; these include the full complement of Web and App experiences for our high-visibility brands MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Nickelodeon, and Paramount Network chief among them.
This is an opportunity to shape the user experiences of millions of fans across a wide suite of digital entertainment products.
The candidate will be a key contributor throughout the product development process, working with the UX research lead, designers, product owners, project managers, engineers and key stakeholders crafting user testing methodologies, hypotheses, test plans, and prototypes with the end-goal of validating UX/UI product design solutions through moderated qualitative usability labs.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with a passion for understanding what motivates users, what makes successful user experiences, and has an aptitude to understand user experience spaces big and small; from the big picture of a user’s mental model to the nitty gritty details of a specific user interaction.
This role will report to the Manager of UX Research and work with product design teams on a daily basis.
• Support the Manager of UX Research in the operation of all usability lab activities from crafting test plans, recruiting respondents, and documenting consumer insights
• Work with UX research lead, product owners, product designers, quantitative analysts, marketers, and content programmers across the Global Entertainment Product Group to proactively identify opportunities to bring the voice of the consumer into strategic and tactical product conversations
• Maintain working knowledge of external products that compete both directly and indirectly with Viacom for users’ time, and be able to speak to their feature set and user experience
• Manage the recruitment of users and assist the UX research lead in general usability lab management
• Leave external respondents with a positive feeling about the experience
• Proactively identify and integrate secondary sources/external resource into the product process where relevant
• Assist UX research lead with testing documentation; from full reports to executive summaries
• Act as an ambassador throughout Viacom for rapid user testing, helping product and research teams see how they can achieve actionable results with little time and effort
• BA/BS or equivalent experience
• 1 year of relevant experience
• Experience with digital video products, technology, operations and industry, including processes and challenges
• Ability to translate research findings into easily digestible, actionable insights
• Familiarity of the ever-evolving media industry
• Comfortable interviewing and observing people in many different situations and also putting them at ease
• Excellent ability to conceive, prioritize, and execute on plans
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks and set priorities to ensure deadlines are met or exceeded
• Collaborative approach with ability to drive towards consensus and resolution
• Strong ability to communicate at both detailed and abstract levels
• Excellent communication skills