Intern - Basketball Operations Analytics
Utah JazzSalt Lake City, UT
Part Time Unpaid Internship
The Utah Jazz are seeking a Basketball Operations Analytics Intern to support the front office during the 2018-19 season. This role will be integral to running the day-to-day operations of the front office, supporting basketball operations, scouting, and analytics with daily tasks. A working knowledge of modern analytics tools as well as strong communication and interpersonal skills are key to success in this role. This role will be reporting both to the Coordinator of Analytics as well as the coordinators of scouting and operations.
• Assist with daily basketball operations, scouting, and analytics tasks.
• Organize and take notes during staff meetings and conference calls.
• Support analytics team by taking on projects to support front office and/or coaching staff.
• Work with scouting director and coordinators on logistical operations and scheduling.
• Develop reports and analysis leveraging SQL data warehouse and centralized reporting software.
• Organize and maintain internal documents and materials for basketball operations staff.
• General database support, including data entry and inventory management.
• Transportation support for players, front office, coaches, and guests (airport pickups, hotel drop-offs, etc.).
• Miscellaneous projects, such as, video scouting, local scouting, and draft preparation.
• Bachelor's Degree or higher.
• Working knowledge of SQL and data warehouse design/methodologies
• Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel).
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize daily workload.
• Working knowledge of concepts related to basketball analytics and a proven ability to translate user requirements into technical specifications
• Experience with corporate reporting tools, i.e. Tableau, Looker, Periscope, Chartio, Domo, etc.
• Ability to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction.
• Ability to communicate technical/statistical findings to a variety of stakeholders
• Ability to work within a team environment.
• High level verbal, written, and communication skills.
• Organized and fast typing ability.
• Willingness to learn and problem solve independently.
• Robust attention to detail; familiar with common quality assurance techniques.
• Discretion and professionalism with highly confidential information.
• Bonus: Working knowledge of an advanced statistical/scripting language (eg, R, Python, Julia, etc).
• Bonus: Familiarity with statistical analysis techniques (e.g., Regression, Modeling, Simulation, etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?