Intern - Trackman Data and Operations
USA BaseballDurham, NC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Trackman Data and Operations Intern
Start Date: February 1, 2019
End Date: August 31, 2019
*Full time hours throughout the entirety of this internship (40 hours per week).
*This is a paid position.
Position Reports to: 18U National Team Director (Matt Blood)
Position Background: USA Baseball's National Training Complex in Cary, N.C. is equipped with TrackMan radar and data collection capabilities. The TrackMan radar allows USA Baseball to improve its evaluation and selection processes as well as assist in player development and training by adding in individual pitch and hit tracking data.
• Obtain a thorough understanding of functionality and troubleshooting processes related to the TrackMan game tagging software and set up/take down of related equipment.
• Train others to use TrackMan software & handle equipment during game days and events.
• Tag games and/or supervise TrackMan taggers during USA Baseball events as needed.
• Process USA Baseball's automated reports in R for various on-site and off-site events alongside supervisor. Troubleshoot report issues as necessary.
• Various administrative duties related to TrackMan system & data processing, including roster creation, data cleaning, and data storage.
• Analyze TrackMan and other data for analytical player evaluation & development insights. Includes charts, tables, visualizations & statistical modeling.
• Suggest and implement improved functionality & new ideas for reports and analytical insights.
• Assist in developing USA Baseball's player database in SQL.
• Perform ad-hoc analyses of gathered data as needed
• Computer Science, Statistics, or related background. Must have strong quantitative analysis & computing skills.
• Technical skills required: R, SQL, advanced Excel. Database creation experience or User Interface Development skills is a plus.
• Passion for studying baseball & knowledge of the game, particularly related to pitch types and game scoring.
• Strong interpersonal skills to work alongside office and on-field personnel.
• A background check is required prior to employment.
• Weekend availability for all USA Baseball events taking place at the National Training Complex in Cary, NC for the duration of the internship.
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women's National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
USA Baseball is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of USA Baseball to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Are you applying for any other USA Baseball internships? If so, specify which positions.