Intern - MLB Prospect Development Pipeline , Baseball Operations
USA BaseballDurham, NC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
MLB Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP), Baseball Operations Intern
MLB Prospect Development Pipeline, Baseball Operations Intern
State Date: May 1, 2019
End Date: August 31, 2019
*Full time hours throughout the entirety of this internship (40 hours per week). Candidates must be able and committed to traveling to MLB PDP events held across the country. USA Baseball will cover work related travel expenses.
*USA Baseball will hire six (6) MLB PDP Baseball Operations interns.
*These positions are paid.
Position Reports To: Director, Prospect Development Pipeline (Jules Johnson)
The Baseball Operations Intern of the MLB Prospect Development Pipeline supports the day to day operations of one of USA Baseball and Major League Baseball's newest initiative within the amateur game. The Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP) is a collaborative effort between USA Baseball and the Commissioner's Office that delivers an official evaluation and mentoring program for amateur draft and college recruiting-aged athletes. Part of the larger movement to improve the experience of players within the amateur game, the PDP is a platform for direct interaction between athletes and MLB, and enables MLB and USA Baseball to provide the marketplace with a fair value, official evaluation opportunity. This position will report to the Director of the Prospect Development Pipeline and will be supported by additional staff who will assist in the growth of the program.
• Supports all aspects of the day to day operations of the PDP, including event management, and event-day operations
• Executes PDP event tasks including athletic assessments, on-field evaluations and gameplay
• Serves as the conduit between on-site player evaluations and USA Baseball National Team and other joint partner selection staffs
• Travels to and facilitates regional events around the country, hosting top high school and collegiate amateur prospects
• Assists in the post-event operations and messaging to athletes, coaches, and the professional scouting community
• Works on PDP brand and message consistency
• Identifies areas of future growth for the program
• All candidates should have a background within baseball
• Candidates should possess strong organizational, logistical and leadership skills
• All candidates must demonstrate computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
• Must have an excellent attitude and work well in a team setting
• Flexible and adaptable work schedule for changing organizational needs
• Willingness to travel to USA Baseball events, NMO events and governance meetings throughout the United States and international competitions around the world
• Passionate about baseball
• Baseball experience as a player, coach or administrator
• Ability to utilize existing and emerging networks within the game to achieve team goals
• Previous event and database management experience
• Working towards a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or other relevant degree
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women's National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
USA Baseball is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of USA Baseball to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Are you willing to travel often throughout the duration of your internship?
• Are you applying for any other USA Baseball internships? If so, please specify which positions.