Universal Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
VP Licensing (Apparel/Merch)
Lead business development initiatives to identify new licensing partners and product categories, including researching, pitching, negotiating and executing contracts. Use licensing opportunities to help build global brand franchises that generate revenue streams across multiple categories.
• Identify new opportunities in accordance with the global licensing strategy, liaising with senior management and label partners on researching, pitching, negotiating and fully executing licensing contracts.
• Maintain existing licensee relationships across all product categories and optimize commercial terms of these partnerships for Bravado
• Develop and execute merchandising strategies that maximize revenue across multiple categories and distribution channels
• Interact with artists, managers and UMG record labels to educate on potential licensing opportunities
• Manage relationships for all partnership agreements for which Bravado is a licensee
• Develop brand management plan of each property. Work closely with the senior marketing team to provide input for trade and consumer advertising, PR and research. Set and manage budgets and maximize value for licensees and retailers.
• Forge close relationships with strategic partners in appropriate products categories including apparel, gifts, games, online, accessories, home furnishings as well as food and beverage companies etc.
• Work with Business Affairs to develop anti-piracy strategies
• Take a leadership position with the brand management and creative groups to set product development plans, product positioning, and key selling benefits.
• Develop retail relationships with key mass market and specialty retailers, identifying strategic relationships and selling in merchandise promotions.
• Develop broader strategic licensing programs for Bravado and its artists working closely with the retail and brand management teams
• Maintain and update sales forecasts at the licensee and artist level
• Ensure that any brand extensions will make a meaningful contribution to preserving and furthering the overall life of the underlying property.
• Work closely with Product Managers to streamline licensee creative requests and approvals process
• Liaise with internal Artist Service Managers to ensure program creative needs and approvals are streamlined.
• Work with legal to ensure proper registration and protection of the company's IP. Manage licensing contract process and counterfeiting issues.
• Direct Licensees on royalty statements, budgeting and projections and monitor partner payment compliance
• Work closely with Finance department to ensure proper royalty collection and payment
• Work with UMG label divisions to stay abreast of new and developing artist suitable for licensing opportunities
• Understand relevant marketplace dynamics and other key issues leading to appropriate recommendations for the licensing mix (e.g. quality, pricing, promotions and distribution).
• An accomplished Licensing and Merchandising executive who also has expertise in Sales and Business Development.
• The ability to see over the horizon to where the next Licensing opportunities are because of a wide knowledge of the industry, with a very high level of commercial awareness.
• Good relationships and good ‘street cred’ in the Industry.
• Ability to work cross-functionally and a consensus builder who can direct staff across diverse lines of businesses.
• Love of music and understanding of ‘fan mentality’ are key for success
• Demonstrated experience securing, negotiating and managing licensing deals across a variety of product categories and managing them.
• An accomplished product strategy executive who possesses strong understanding of brands who balances creative marketing judgment/vision with analytical data as it relates to creating value-added merchandise against core market segments.
• Proven track in Fashion/Luxury/CPG and global brand Licensing experience a plus.
• Bachelors Degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.