Universal Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Vice-President, A&R will secure new songs for existing talent on the label as well as evaluate new talent and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label. They will be a highly creative leader with solid relationships in the music industry.
• Secure new songs for existing talent on the label.
• Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes.
• Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
• Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to label President and head of A&R.
• Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
• Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
• Provide creative input and direction on artist's material.
• Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
• Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing and mastering.
• Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
• Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
• Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label's artists.
• Attend live showcases/concerts at clubs and other venues.
• Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
• Work closely with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion and Commerce to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
• Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
• Must have strong knowledge of Urban music and the ability to separate/identify what’s commercially viable.
• A pro-active self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be flexible and be a team player.
• Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
• Ability to travel and attend showcases as required.
• Must understand the artist lifestyle.
• Excellent computer skills, MS Office and an intimate knowledge of the interne
• Minimum 10 years music industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new songs for existing talent and finding emerging artists that fit in with label's musical offerings/musical direction.
• Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record required.
• Bachelors Degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.