Universal Music GroupKings Cross, UK
Full Time Job
Job title: Research Analyst
Responsible to: Senior Director, Global Rights and Society Relations
Department: Global Rights & Society Relations
Location of work: 4 Pancras Square
Main Purpose of Role:
Universal Music Group is looking to for a highly motivated person to work as part of the Global Rights & Society Relations team focusing on neighboring rights.
This role will support efforts to manage all day-to-day matters related to areas such as recorded music asset registration, duplicate claims/dispute resolution, revenue tracking and suspense management for the UMG companies across the world in all their interactions with the neighboring rights societies so the ability to work as a team-player with others across the global business will be essential.
This person will be expected to initiate and perform a wide-ranging set of analytical researc h projects and deliver logical, evidence-based results. The ability to build analysis that can help resolve issues and highlight opportunities for the team will be important so an eye for detail to spot the trends, anomalies and deviations in business data and a creative and open approach to building and presenting results are a must.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a new team with a new focus on neighboring rights and a commitment to deliver excellent standards of service for all UMG’s Labels and Artists. It is essential that the individual has an interest in being part of a developing department with a constructive approach to change – this is a challenging role which offers a real opportunity to contribute to a growing part of our business.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide research and analysis to support business queries across a range of topics to service a variety of business needs and customers. This will require mining of business data including revenues, sales, radio, TV and digital usage.
• Support the team in the creation of neighbouring rights society KPI’s and benchmarks and subsequent monitoring and presentation of performance. This will include extraction of past performance measures on registrations, society acceptance rates, society suspense levels etc.
• Assist the team in preparing for society visits and interactions through the identification, extraction, analysis and presentation of key society and company data.
• Using business intelligence data, explore unusual observations and undertake the research/analysis required in order to continually modify and improve the scope of tracking analysis.
• Perform accurate and timely research of UMG’s rights & repertoire systems to ensure all necessary repertoire related data is entered accurately and comprehensively to drive successful down-stream asset registration at the neighbouring rights societies.
• Perform those functions, such as recorded music asset registration, where local society rules require manual work to complete.
• Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required in response to changing business requirements.
• Job specific skills:
• Excellent skills in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, and very comfortable at learning customised systems . Knowledge of Access and / or SQL advantageous.
• Fast and accurate data entry with attention to detail and understanding of how that data affects the value-chain
• Ability or capable of learning quickly how to perform research and analysis of issues to provide useful information and insight
• Strong analytical skills and ability to translate data into meaningful analysis and insights to help s upport and explain activities to the wider business
• Ability to make complex numerical calculations and to manipulate and clearly present data in excel, Powerpoint and other desk-top solutions
• Experience in the music industry helpful but not required but must have a willingness to learn the intricacies of the business, its data and processes.
• Motivated by resolving issues and ability to calmly and effectively manage these through to successful resolution in a timely manner
• Time & work management:
• Works towards team/department/company objectives and takes pride in meeting targets and satisfying internal and external customers
• Manages self and follows through on tasks and to do lists so that deadlines consistently met in the most efficient and effective way
• Prides oneself on accurate data entry, rigorous research, effective problem-solving and steady, focused effort
• Sets priorities and plans workload efficiently. Consults manager and colleagues where appropriate to solve problems and complete tasks and projects to deadlines
• Teamwork & collaboration :
• Supports, co-operates and collaborates with others across the Organization
• Open-minded, flexible and cooperative with the needs and priorities of the team so that customer needs are met consistently
• Responds appropriately to direction regarding key performance indicators and service level agreements
• Ability to communicate clearly in a courteous and professional manner with customers and colleagues
• Ability to escalate issues appropriately in a timely and professional manner
• Initiative & motivation
• Flexible, enthusiastic and effective approach to implementing tasks, taking on new work and assignments, developing new skills and servicing customers
• Prepared and motivated to be part of an evolving business environment with an interest in improving customer service and developing the role, processes and procedures
Diversity and Inclusion:
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.