Director, International Marketing
Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol’s generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few. We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world’s leading Music Company.
Capitol Music Group is looking for a Director of International Marketing to be a part of the Global Marketing Team located in Hollywood, CA who will oversee and direct all aspects of day-to-day marketing and will partner with our labels/managers/artists to develop marketing campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their releases. This position is ideal for a candidate with 5 years’ experience in the international marketing arena. Candidates must be comfortable and capable of working and building relationships with senior management, both inside and outside of the label, as well as their affiliates, artists and their management. The candidate must be able to work multiple projects simultaneously, managing multiple priorities, responsible for all marketing and promotions outside the United States. In this dynamic, fast-moving role, you will need to apply strong self-organization and time management skills while demonstrating pro-active initiation and follow through on a broad range of actions. The ideal candidate possesses a firm working knowledge of international marketing, promotions, and commerce.
This role’s primary duties include advising artist management in their strategic planning with international perspective, timelines, and global schedules while guiding artist and management through marketing plans and promotional schedules. The ideal candidate will be able to do the following: support international affiliates in obtaining the necessary tools to successfully develop artist brands, implement global marketing and promotional strategies for the launch of artist projects as well as initiating, monitoring and overseeing the implementation of international affiliates’ marketing plans. As a director, you must keep constant communication between artist management, and international affiliates to regularly update them on development on their projects
• Marketing Strategy: -Formation and implantation of global marketing strategies for artist campaigns in conjunction with label partners around the world. Full spectrum campaign planning across production, marketing (digital and traditional), social media, sales, promotion.
• Project Management: Act as the marketing lead for specific projects and labels. This includes developing the overall marketing plan, budget and strategy for the campaign and then executing it. Ability to assess campaigns and strategically change their course by having an understanding of the process
• Marketing Plans: When not running a campaign, the candidate will be responsible for guiding our label partners in creating well thought out and creative plans.
• Project Budgeting: Work with our label partners to create smart marketing budgets that help deliver maximum visibility while also focusing on the highest return on investment.
• Label Meetings: Be available for all label meetings to act as a sounding board and strategist.
• Weekly Updates: Create weekly updates for the team highlighting growth areas and opportunities on priority releases. Also work with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise updates.
• PR Outreach & Guidance: Help to suggest appropriate PR teams for our partners and act as the lead in liaising with them on the creation of a strong PR campaign that compliments the other marketing and sales activities.
• Label/Artist Relations: Available during negotiations as it relates to marketing strategy and label relations. This role is generally the first point of contact after a deal has been signed so that marketing plan development and marketing strategy can begin immediately to maximize timelines.
• Digital Marketing Strategy: Work with the digital department to ensure that our partners are creating creative, innovative campaigns that engage fans utilizing pre-existing social platforms and new technologies.
• Community Relations: understand, be immersed and have thorough knowledge of the music sector with experience of promoter circuit, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing
• Data Driven Analytics: know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations
• Culture Driven Focus: know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance of an artist within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations
• Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
• Ability to forge excellent internal communication with team members and able to build excellent professional working relationships
• Experience of working, influencing and persuading at all levels of an organization (upwards and downwards)
• Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
• Build and manage artist budgets to support online marketing
• Knowledge of social media best practices and how to put together a social media plan, build a fan base, etc.
• Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to work with in house and 3rd party PR, Promo and online marketing teams
• Domestic and International Travel required on a regular basis
• Positive, proactive and pragmatic approach to any situation. Able to deal with problems as they may arise
• Ability to handle confidential information and interact with high-level executives and artists
• Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on)
• Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
• Existing relationships with labels and/or brands and existing contacts at digital platforms
• Advanced level artist relations and/or third-party distribution experience
• 4 years’ experience in music industry marketing
• Degree qualified or equivalent experience.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.