Director, Production Technology
The Walt Disney StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
We're looking for a visionary and highly technical senior leader to support production of The Walt Disney Studios' world-class slate of live action films. You are a seasoned technologist, and have prior experience and extensive knowledge of film production and post production pipelines and associated systems. You have proven yourself as a technology innovator developing and streamlining workflows, implementing automation and other tools critical to the production pipeline. You understand the urgent needs of feature production today as you oversee the development of long-term solutions tomorrow.
Your leadership and passion for developing and delivering on strategies to increase efficiency in pre-production, production, post production workflows utilizing a mixture of in-house development and third-party solutions is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You are:
• A Leader. You have a demonstrated ability to establish a technology vision in the motion picture production space and to execute on it. You have exceptional experience in building and leading teams – with a keen eye for strong talent especially in developing current and cultivating future leaders.
• A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically. You understand the urgency of the production environment, but balance that with long term durability and sustainability of solutions that benefit each Studio.
• Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don't have all the details; you're comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
• Technically astute. You have a solid foundation technically and regularly contribute to the industry in some capacity. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it's product, industry, or hard technical knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
• Goal oriented. You develop and actualize vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you develop world class infrastructure that enables maximum value for the Shows.
• Excel at multi-tasking. You are able to quickly sort tasks into priorities, determining the balance between short-term triage and designed robust solutions. You can consistently focus on problems of different scopes and timelines.
• Maintain Balance. You are able to balance the demands of technical leadership while maintaining a high standard of operational execution.
This position reports to the Head of Technology in Burbank, CA.
• Provide leadership and oversight of software development and production technologies across Disney Live Action feature productions
• Develop key partnerships with Disney Live Action executives and post/production stakeholders
• In close collaboration and architectural partnership with Marvel Studios, lead the effort to define, build post/production pipelines including: workflow design, feature selection, system implementation, and evaluation
• Oversee annual software and production technology budget
• Oversee and mentor technical staff that is a mix of full time and contract staff. Team size can vary greatly depending on the number of concurrent productions in flight.
• Contribute to the annual infrastructure and technology strategy
• Establish and maintain studio SDLC framework and best practice for all development efforts
• Contribute to cross-studio standards and policies to unify, standardize, normalize, and govern meta-data across systems
• Take input and requirements from stakeholders and cross-functional show operations teams and implement into durable solutions
• Collaborate with the Technology Innovation Group, Disney Research, and individual Studios to prioritize and implement proofs of concept
• Maintain high architectural and security standards, developed in collaboration with Studio and Global Content Security
• Provide input and guidance on annual operating plans and 5-year planning
• Provide regular executive-level reporting
• 10 years of experience in feature production and/or post production
• 5 years of experience in a production technology leadership role
• Experience with designing, architecting and maintaining highly complex media production/post production workflows
• Track record of innovation in feature production technology and engineering
• Experience contributing to production and post production products and or standards
• Previous experience developing and implementing pipeline solutions for pre/post production teams
• Good knowledge and previous experience in building software solution for supporting media asset management workflows, ranging from digital asset ingestion, asset validation, asset metadata, asset archiving to asset fulfillment
• Experience programming in C/C , Python, Perl, HTML5/Java Script
• Experience administrating and supporting production-tracking software
• Experience with relational and noSql databases and associated API's
• Has knowledge of / skills in the content areas of: Defining and executing complex architecture and Object-Oriented Principles, Design Patterns, Coding Best Practices and review, Web Service Design (i.e. REST)
• Experience working with secure, accelerated file transfer protocol API's such as Aspera or Signiant
• Experience with transcoding, playback and color management software such as FFmpeg, RV, OIIO, OCIO and Nuke
• Experience with image formats and video codecs such as OpenEXR, DNxHD, DNxHR, etc.
• Documented work experience in a Studio environment with hands on experience or first-hand knowledge of studio technologies such as Avid Media Composer, Avid Unity, ISIS, Scratch, Signiant, Aspera, Davinci, Luster, Maya, RV, Shotgun, and/or other post production specific software or transport technologies
• Documented work experience with Linux products
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Strong technical leader who can successfully collaborate with/across teams to bring designs and projects to fruition
• Exemplify quality, inclusive leadership skills that promote collaboration and provides a ''fail safe'' environment for the team
• Situational and strategic awareness of the environment for quick and decisive identification of issues and bringing about resolution
• Stakeholder-driven, able to provide solutions and partner eff
It's the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It's hard to define and even harder to create, but that's what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Walt Disney Studios is home to some of the most iconic live action characters, worlds and stories across Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm.