Senior Director, Greenlight Client Development
The Branded Entertainment NetworkNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Greenlight, part of Branded Entertainment Network, connects world-class brands with iconic talent, classic entertainment, and popular music by integrating I.P. into brands' products and marketing. BEN is the world-leading product integration experts and Greenlight is a global leader for rights clearances and famous icon representation, including merchandise licensing. Together, we elevate projects, amplify brands, and captivate audiences. Our team is global, with offices in Los Angeles (headquarters), New York, London and Provo. Branded Entertainment Network and Greenlight are privately held, wholly owned by Bill Gates.
Greenlight is an established entity in the industry, with the pace and vibe of a startup. The team thrives in a dynamic and ever-changing industry environment and pride ourselves on a history of proven success and leadership in the right clearances and licensing spaces. We continually evolve our strategies to meet the unique needs of our clients, and we are searching for exceptional people to help realize our vision and achieve our goals, all while applying our core values of Accountability, Passion and Teamwork. Greenlight is results-oriented, outward-facing, customer-centric, and creatively charged. Our employees receive a competitive benefits package and enjoy working with and learning from the best and the brightest in this dynamic industry.
Greenlight is seeking a Senior Director, Client Development to grow the global rights clearance business, focusing on the US market. The ideal candidate must have strong experience with talent, entertainment, and/or music clearances, as well as strong relationships across the advertising industry at decision-making levels and secondarily with major brands and other large-scale users of IP clearances. This is a sales role, with responsibility for building a pipeline of prospects, selling, negotiating, and closing deals to significantly drive revenue. This role also requires strategic thinking to identify and prioritize new growth areas for the business. Industry leadership and active participation will be critical to build Greenlight's leadership position in the rights clearances industry. This executive will also be responsible for oversight of the team's CRM and other reporting tools, and liaise with Finance to ensure forecasting accuracy.
The Senior Director collaborates daily with BEN employees, including Finance and Accounting, Technology, Legal, Client Services and Marketing to ensure continuity of standards and processes.
• Oversee Client Development for Greenlight's clearances business by identifying revenue opportunities, building pipeline, and securing new business for all types of Rights Clearances (talent, music, movie, literary, etc.), with individual responsibility for new business procurement in U.S., while also assisting EMEA Client Development team, and developing ROW revenue streams
• Meet and exceed revenue and margin goals for the global clearances business
• Identify strategic growth areas, prioritize, and pursue new areas for business development
• Proactively meet with and sell to variety of clients through in-person meetings (3 per week)
• Independently identify, pursue and close sales opportunities through contract negotiation, and negotiate best terms and close deals with sense of urgency
• Evaluate incoming clearance inquiries from internal and external sources
• Review new projects with Client Services to determine license fees and strategy, as needed
• Work with Client Services to ensure that appropriate rights are obtained for each client's projects
• Actively identify and pursue opportunities to upsell all BEN services, as well as Greenlight's rights representation portfolio of icons
• Manage sales forecasting and monthly billing projections and reporting
• Liaise with Accounting and Client Services to ensure proper client invoicing
• Liaise with BEN's shared services (Accounting, Legal, HR, IT, Marketing) regarding GL business
• Proactively and regularly communicate with Greenlight Senior Management regarding the status of all Client Development projects and progress
• Share relevant project and industry data and information with team members and solicit advice and information from team members as necessary to improve servicing of client projects
• Improve, automate and standardize existing client development processes and reports, and work to continuously maximize future performance of the team overall
• Actively contribute to and encourage a working atmosphere of inclusion, respect, and open, honest communication with all fellow employees of BEN
• Always maintain the highest standards of interpersonal communication internally and externally
and Skills Required:
• Undergraduate Degree; MBA highly valued
• 15 years professional experience preferably in clearance services sales, advertising sales, or sales for related media industry
• Extensive experience in a broad range of rights clearances for commercial use
• Strong strategic thought process - ability to use data analysis to develop strategies which drive dramatic changes and results in a sales organization
• Operational Problem Solving - Adapts company's systems and processes to changing needs of the organization; develops strategic and tactical solutions that effect many different moving parts
• Leadership - Ability to build out a team and move it toward common goals; Motivates and influences other employees that are not direct reports
• Self-Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals
• Strong work ethic - Works to deadlines with strong sense of urgency and gets the job done while striving to achieve the most optimal results
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improvements; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention and acceptance
• Exceptional team player
• Must be open to extensive travel (25%-40%).
• Computer literacy in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Windows applications, Internet savvy
About BEN Group
BEN Group (a.k.a.) The Branded Entertainment Network empowers agencies, brands, publishers, and other media producers to capture the attention of audiences worldwide by integrating premium and timely entertainment content into their communications. From the world’s leading product integration platform (BEN), to the largest daily feed of celebrity content (Splash), to the global leading agency for rights and music clearances (Greenlight), Branded Entertainment Network helps elevate projects, amplify brands, and captivate audiences.
The BEN technology platform aggregates and matches a global brand’s target audience with the world’s premium content distributed through leading channels like Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, Hulu, HBO, Showtime and YouTube. Integrations are initiated at the pre-production stage enabling the buyer to insert their brand into the fabric of the content that consumers are watching on any device. The media planning features of the BEN platform translate multiple integrations into media value, creating the industry's first end to end marketplace for integrating brands into video with unsurpassed scale and accountability.
With the acquisition of Plaid Social, a leading digital influencer advertising company, BEN has expanded its reach into the explosive area of influencer marketing. The client and agency community is just beginning to understand the power and scale of the influencer channel. BEN will be helping to shape and define this market in the coming year.