Year-Round Labs and Artist Support Manager, Documentary Film Program
Sundance Film FestivalLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Documentary Film team is seeking a forward-thinking strategist to provide in depth support for documentary filmmakers and programs.
Based in Los Angeles, this role manages the planning, implementation and onsite execution of Sundance Institute's Documentary Edit and Story Lab, Sound Design Lab, Directors Lab and select artist fellowships. Included is work is managing the submission and selection process for these labs and fellowships.This position works collaboratively with the DFP team to cultivate and identify new and diverse voices working in nonfiction film, and plays an advisory role with the Sundance Documentary Fund. The ideal candidate would have:
• Direct experience in operational program planning and implementation
• Experience with documentary production, programming, curation, and/or research
• Excellent organizational skills with ability to multitask
• Dedication to being a team player with the ability to also work independently
As the Artist Support and Labs Manager, you would have the unique opportunity to…
• Represent the Documentary Film Program and Sundance Institute nationally and internationally at industry events to build ongoing relationships, scout projects and position Sundance as a thought leader.
• Manage preparation and onsite execution of the program's panels, roundtables, one-on-one meetings, pitching sessions,and other events during the Sundance Film Festival; oversees logistical needs for attending staff, artists, advisors, etc., includes collecting information, Festival ticket selections, credentials, lodging and ensuring delivery.
• Provide support to all program-supported artists as necessary, including connecting mentors and fellows, requesting and intaking progress reports, facilitating fellow creative questions to advisors, providing feedback, conducting general check-ins, etc.
• Manage employees and volunteers, includes selecting and training highly effective employees and volunteers, providing direction, feedback, and support to ensure volunteers understand responsibilities and are effective in their roles.
Other items on your to-do list include…
• Identifying key talent and conducting outreach to actively solicit potential fellows and program applicants globally.
• Ensuring cross-programmatic collaborations are successful, i.e. providing recommendations on Film Festival submissions, driving diversity and inclusion initiatives, etc.
• Developing systems working in conjunction with Fund Manager to conduct outreach and cultivation of artists for Fund and Lab programs.
• Providing daily on site operational support at signature creative Labs and programs ensuring frequent collaboration and communication with the operational staff.
Key experience and skills required:
• Strong consultation, presentation, meeting design and facilitation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills - ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and a variety of people.
• Ability to work extended hours, weekend work, and some holidays at key points throughout the year.
• Ability to travel and be lodged during off site Festivals and Labs for approximately 5 weeks and occasional travel to other Institute offices and events may be required throughout the year - travel estimated around 15-20%