Summer Intern - Audit, Residuals, and Participations Finance
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Audit, Residuals, and Participations Finance Intern, Corporate - Summer 2019
The Sony Pictures Entertainment Internship program offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the teams that come together to create movies, TV shows, and other great experiences. These seasonal paid assignments provide meaningful and productive work that allow you to build your resume, experience and develop your skills further. You will be provided with challenging tasks, real-world experience, valuable networking opportunities, and many educational and social opportunities while on the lot. This Summer internship is from May/June through mid-August. All candidates must be able to work between 40 hours a week.
The Residuals and 3rd Party Audit group manages audits initiated by the Company's participants and Guilds in regard the distribution of all motion picture products. The group includes two executive directors, three managers, and four analysts, and manages approximately 75 to 100 audits in various stages per year. The audit group handles everything from contract review, audit scoping, day-to-day management of audit requests and auditor interaction, and eventual settlement of any issues that arise.
• The intern will be involved with assisting an audit manager with preparing the reports and schedules required to commence an audit
• The intern will then be tasked with assisting with pulling, reviewing, and providing, under the supervision of the manager, supporting documentation requested by auditors
• The intern will be exposed to system-to-system data reconciliations, tracing transactions from the statement back to the source, and communicating with other business units to gain a better understanding of what the data means and how it relates to the distribution and/or production of motion pictures
• Participation in staff and update meetings
The intern will gain experience/exposure to the following:
• As part of this process, the intern will learn: how to read third party agreements; how to apply the terms of the agreements to distribution statements; working with the various finance systems, including SAP, and reporting systems utilized by the Company, which will allow the intern to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to real-world finance operations; how to audit a company's books and records, again utilizing classroom skills in a real-world setting; and, how to communicate clearly within the department and with individuals in departments across the Company. The end result of learning this process is that the intern has visibility into how the entire studio works, from production to new media distribution - offering the intern a broad view of how a major motion picture company works.
• Basic to advanced Excel skills;
• Working knowledge of other MS Office products such as Word and PowerPoint
• Ability to read and understand legal documents; knowledge of accounting principles and systems; ability to work independently, and ability to work in a team environment; good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Undergraduate student studying in relevant field
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios