Manager, Music Licensing
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Music Licensing
An exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team in the Music Affairs department at Sony Pictures Entertainment as the Manager of Music Licensing.
As part of the Music Licensing team within Music Affairs, the Manager of Music Licensing works collaboratively with and supports Sony Pictures Television's music and audio needs across all of their various television productions.
Reviewing and charting cue sheets, identifying songs and audio that require clearance, research master and publishing rights holders with major and independent record labels and music publishers, seek obtain and negotiate the necessary approvals. Work closely with Music BA on production inquiries to music rights and original music created for our television productions. With an understanding of Performing Rights Organizations, Music Publishers, definition of Public Domain, split territories coupled with knowledge of people and contacts in the industry to swiftly pursue and secure all rights necessary for the use of 3rd party music and audio. Be able and enthusiastic to offer solutions when confronted with the unavailability of a recording for creative or financial reasons. Assignment of various projects on a project-by-project basis to find opportunities of efficiency, financial savings and contribute to the teams' goal of possible revenue generation with SPE's owned and controlled music and audio in visual media. Just a few of Sony's television productions include The Goldbergs, Atypical, Better Call Saul, Cobra Kai, and The Blacklist.
• Reporting to the VP of Music Affairs: Head of Music Licensing - Working directly with television production and music creative, review cue sheets for all shows, pursue the necessary approvals from third parties for music and audio, negotiate fees, manage budgets and track all licenses through to full execution and payment.
• Review terms of approval, short form agreements and contracts to ensure SPE's legal requirements are fulfilled.
• In collaboration with department coordinator, aid in the internal processing and external distribution of licensing payments in an efficient, accurate and timely manner
• Create, upload and manage music / television productions in internal database and digital information repository.
• Attend Music Affairs departmental meetings, television team meetings, provide updates on projects and collaborate on the successful release of all visual media in the corresponding production.
• Bachelors degree in film, TV music, business, communications, etc.
• Minimum of 3-5 years experience in Music Licensing at a production company, television studio, trailer house, record label, music publisher, production music library, etc.
• Knowledge of music licensing, song research and rights negotiation, synchronization and master use rights.
• Passion for film & television music, sound design, visual media, music supervision.
• Keen negotiating skills, works well under pressure and tight deadlines, ability to accurately manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to process and navigate fast moving high amounts of data and paperwork.
• Proactive team player and motivated solution oriented self-starter.
• Organizational skills and thorough due diligence.
• Established relationships in the field with rights holders, music supervisors and creatives.
• Ability to professionally and personable communicate in all manners internally and with clients both written and verbal.
• Ability to track all licenses through the entire licensing process from start to finish from initial request, to contract to payment
• Savvy with technology, database management and asset requests/delivery
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios