Director, Data Science and Business Intelligence
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Data Science and Business Intelligence
Who we're looking for:
A curious, problem solver to lead our data team and who has a proven track record developing deep insights that drive strategy across operating groups (marketing, programming, monetization, distribution, sales and product). The candidate enjoys an entrepreneurial, fast paced culture as well as working within an autonomous business intelligence group to drive growth by investigating new methods of reducing churn and driving user acquisition in conjunction with stakeholders. He/she has a deep understanding of data architecture and design and possess a passion for pioneering an empirical and data-driven culture.
What you'll do:
The Director of Data Science and Business Intelligence will oversee an autonomous team of bright and enthusiastic members who are responsible for understanding and driving insights across the entire user journey; he/she will drive strategy and prediction through improved data techniques; lead cross-functional project teams to help identify critical priorities; improve the collection of new and existing data; work with data from the largest tech platforms on the planet including PlayStation, XBox, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire and 25 additional platforms; leverage performance data to assemble original production greenlight models and content acquisition strategy; collaborate with engineering teams and third parties to implement experimental design, audience targeting and audience acquisition; write white papers develop patents focused on the intersection of technology, entertainment and data; build inferential/visual systems to integrate with various data infrastructures, work with research to develop and manage primary research studies, including client ROI analysis and ad effectiveness; implement tools for behavioral targeting, cross promotion analysis, recommendation optimization to provide users with an enhanced experience through the effective surfacing of content across 25 devices.
• Work with Operations to develop and manage reporting mechanisms, build and analyze dashboards/reports, and design and evaluate experiments to understand the root causes of metric changes.
• Conduct exploratory analysis to propose new roadmap ideas, understand ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends; and you'll create quarterly budgets/forecasts, 3-year strategic plans, and an annual business review.
• Influence product teams through regular presentations and communicate your findings to key groups, and you'll build key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis.
• Draw conclusions from data to develop and manage primary research studies (including client ROI analysis), utilize comScore and other syndicated sources to provide competitive intelligence, benchmarking, and audience positioning.
• Create topical research decks for sales support with information on consumer trends, cross platform measurement and the overall media marketplace.
• Supervise the data team to ensure that stakeholders are supported on a tactical level.
Why you'll love it here:
1. Growth: By interpreting our rich data sets, you will be at the forefront of major decision-making and strategy. Your applied research and forward thinking will shape the direction and continued success of the digital network, and will directly impact the product decisions that influence our established user audience, and will help target and acquire new viewership.
2. Leadership: You will witness a direct connection between your work and an optimization of the consumer experience. You will also have opportunities to face and solve unprecedented challenges and work with cutting-edge technology. We believe in recruiting quality candidates over quantity, so by leading our dedicated data team, you will play a major role in steering the ship. You won't simply engage with leaders, you'll be one.
3. The best of both worlds: You'll have the opportunity to shine in an established but innovative digital network- with a ''hit-the-ground-running'' feel and collaborative spirit of a start-up, combined with the force, visibility, and resources of a powerhouse studio behind you.
What you'll bring to the table:
-A demonstrated ability to think critically, problem solve, and a track record of achievement.
-5-8 years of experience working with quantitative analysis.
-BA/BS degree (MS or PhD preferred) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Operations Research or a related field.
-Extensive experience building web applications and knowledge of web technologies, and work experience on large scale machine learning, user behavior analysis, and text mining in leading internet companies, as well as user modeling, data visualization, and data infrastructure.
-2 years experience with dimensional data modeling, schema design in data warehouses.
-2 years in custom/structured ETL design, implementation and maintenance.
-Experience with a Map Reduce/MPP system and writing abstract, reusable code components.
-Strong understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning, excel and data mining concepts.
-Proven team leadership and relationship building skills.
-Proficiency in scripting languages/programs like Python, Java, SQL, BigQuery, Oracle, Hive, etc.
-Familiarity with machine learning/statistical modeling tools (R, SciKitLearn, SparkML, Tensorflow, etc.)
-Experience building web applications and knowledge of web technologies, and extensive experience with user modeling
-Excellent communication and analysis presentation skills.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios