Assistant General Counsel
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Assistant General Counsel / Vice President Legal, Digital and TV Distribution
Sony Pictures Entertainment seeks an exceptional attorney at either the Assistant General Counsel or Vice President level who thrives in a collaborative team environment to join its Corporate Legal Department in Culver City, California.
The attorney will support Sony Pictures' digital and television distribution organizations. Working with senior business executives in Sony Pictures Television, both domestically and internationally, the attorney will manage a wide range of legal affairs for the digital and linear distribution of Sony Pictures TV and motion picture content as well as the acquisition of programming. The attorney will structure, negotiate, draft and provide advice on new and existing distribution agreements with Sony's digital and broadcast partners across various media including subscription-video-on-demand (SVOD), transactional-video-on-demand (VOD), free/advertiser supported video-on demand (FVOD/AVOD) and digital home entertainment, as well as traditional broadcast media, namely premium, basic and free broadcast television. In addition, the attorney will work closely with Sony's digital sales teams to help develop innovative digital opportunities exploiting new technologies and markets. The role will report into the SVP, Distribution, Legal.
The successful candidate will join an experienced and supportive legal team. In addition to working with senior business executives, the attorney will work closely with all other commercial and legal experts within Sony Pictures, including production, marketing, music, finance, digital security, government affairs, litigation, tax, antitrust and labor. The successful candidate will have outstanding academic credentials and 6 years' experience with a major law firm, major studio and/or network of which 2 years should be relevant, i.e., linear television and/or digital content licensing. Valuable areas of expertise include international transactions, program licensing and distribution, intellectual property and regulatory affairs, particularly with respect to television and new media.
• 6 or more years' experience with a major law firm, studio or network
• 2 or more years' relevant experience working in digital and/or linear television content licensing
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills
• Strong understanding of the shifting dynamic of entertainment consumption, specifically digital services and devices, and its impact on the content distribution business
• Ability to balance working independently while being a collaborative team player
• Assertive, detail-oriented, proactive and able to accommodate tight deadlines
• Experience, ability and desire to provide a high level of client service, including excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with creative and corporate team members
• JD required
• Member of California State Bar
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios