Senior Director, A&R
Sony MusicCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
The Senior Director, A&R will evaluate new talent and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label.
• Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes.
• Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
• Attend live showcases/concerts at clubs and other venues.
• Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to label President and head of A&R.
• Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
• Secure for new songs for existing talent on the label.
• Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
• Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material.
• Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
• Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing, mastering.
• Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
• Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
• Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists.
• Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
• Work closely with other label departments/employees including marketing, publicity, promotion and sales to try to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
• Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, concert promoters, radio promo reps, retail contacts, trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
• Minimum of 5 years of music industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new and emerging artists that fit in with label’s musical offerings/musical direction.
• Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record required.
• Must have strong knowledge of various genres of music and the ability to separate/identify the commercially viable from the pack.
• Musical/performance background a strong plus.
• Computer skills: Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook) and an intimate knowledge of the internet.
• Additional skills: A proactive, self-starter who has strong problem solving, social, and interpersonal skills. Exceptional communication and time management skills. The ability to prioritize and multi-task. Must be able to work independently but be a team player and flexible.
• Must be able to create and maintain very strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc. Multitasking and organizational skills a must. Must be available to travel and attend evening showcases as required. Must understand the artist lifestyle.
• Some travel required.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.