Sony MusicFranklin, TN
Full Time Job
• Do you thrive on solving problems?
• Do you love finding ways to improve productivity in a fast-paced environment?
• Are you known among your friends as being the most organized one in the group?
• Do you want to put your publishing administration experience to work supporting Christian music and worship songwriters and artists?
If so, consider this position in publishing administration for Provident Music Group (the Christian music division of Sony Music Entertainment) where you will work as part of a Business Affairs team that gets down into the details, ensuring our roster of award-winning songwriters and artists are reported to accurately and that the songs we represent are registered, licensed, and royalties are collected.
The Business Affairs Department serves Essential Music Publishing, Provident Label Group, Provident Films, and Provident Music Distribution. Contract negotiation and drafting, issuing and processing licenses, artist clearances, royalty processing, song delivery and song registrations are the primary functions of these divisions. The department works closely with the accounting and A&R staff, as well as with songwriters and artist management.
In compliance with the Tennessee Non-Smokers Protection Act, Sony Music is a smoke-free workplace.
Complete day-to-day publishing administration responsibilities under the direction of Manager/ Publishing Administration in conjunction with Director/ Business Affairs and Director/ Royalties.
• Review songwriter deals to ensure proper set up in royalty system
• Set up songs in royalty system; register songs with performance right societies
• Collect metadata for songs
• Register copyrights
• Review, draft, and issue licenses on behalf of writer and publisher clients
• Assist with EssentialMusicPublishing.com, issuing licenses, and auditing songs in EMP catalog to ensure proper payment
• Manage data in YouTube Content Management System and any future CMS; assist with resolution of conflicts, disputes, and appeals
• Work with license customers to answer questions and resolve issues
• Upload and process incoming royalty statements for royalty accounting
• Process payments and W-9s for various accounts
• Prepare and maintain files for all royalty payees
• Work with royalty payees to answer questions and resolve issues
• Assist with analyzing and building reports with royalty data
• Maintain strong knowledge of copyright law and how it applies to industry
• Work collaboratively with business affairs, accounting, and A&R to complete all responsibilities
• Bachelor’s degree required; emphasis in music business or accounting preferred
• Music publishing experience with demonstrated knowledge of current music publishing administration procedures, as well a working knowledge and understanding of copyright law, licensing procedures and royalty calculations (typically gained through three or more years of experience); experience in Christian music industry preferred
• Royalty accounting experience preferred
• Understanding of Common Works Registration (CWR) process preferred
• Experience in a role that required hands-on experience across the full-range of music publishing administration preferred
• Knowledge of online digital music tools and familiarity with music file types
• Experience with Music Maestro (music publishing administration software) preferred
• Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills with proven experience using data to draw conclusions and make recommendations; strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Demonstrated organization skills including experience coordinating multiple assignments and projects in a deadline-driven environment with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
• Experience in a role that required a strong work ethic
• Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other similar programs
• Interest in supporting the work and platforms of Contemporary Christian and worship music artists and songwriters
• Proven ability to meet deadlines; accomplish work in order of priority; maintain composure and effectiveness under pressure and changing conditions
• Ability to learn new duties and adjust to new situations encountered on the job within a reasonable amount of time.
• Ability to exhibit a professional, prompt, friendly, efficient, and diplomatic manner in dealing with others, conveying a service-minded approach; ability to work to maintain constructive working relationships
• Ability to observe strict confidentiality and discretion regarding sensitive issues
• Ability to adapt behavior and manner based on expectations and needs of audience
The ideal candidate will …
• Excel at problem-solving and be known for his or her analytical thinking skills
• Love finding ways to be more efficient, improving productivity in a fast-paced environment
• Be passionate about supporting the work and platforms of Christian music artists and songwriters
Work in a newly remodeled open-floor plan environment in the Cool Springs area of Franklin, Tennessee, and receive outstanding benefits including medical/dental/life/disability insurance, 401(k) match, AND 28 paid days off per year (including paid holiday time Christmas Day through New Year’s Day).
No relocation expenses will be paid.
Your cover letter is your opportunity to convince us you are the perfect person for this job! Take note to identify any experiences related to the job requirements and the “ideal” candidate described above.
Note: if you have previously applied for a Sony Music Entertainment job and wish to submit a different résumé or cover letter than the one you last used, follow these steps.
* Apply for this job online.
* Click on “Update Profile.” From there, upload a new résumé, or copy and paste a new cover letter. Be sure to click “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page when you’re done.
We communicate with applicants by email. If you don’t receive an email confirming our receipt of your application, please check your spam filter and add us to your “allowed” email list