Manager, Content Protection
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Sony Music Entertainment’s (SME) Content Protection department is seeking an anti-piracy / content protection professional to actively support and assist with the management of SME’s global content protection efforts and to enforce SME's copyrights worldwide. This position will play a vital role in SME’s efforts to combat intellectual property theft and expand SME’s content protection efforts globally.
SME's Content Protection department provides support to SME’s labels and business units including Business & Legal Affairs, Global Industry & Government Relations, Law, and Partner Development. The environment is fast-paced and allows for opportunities to work on diverse subject matters.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
• Manage day-to-day content protection activities for SME’s Global Digital Business group
• Develop and execute scalable, effective enforcement strategies across digital music and e-commerce platforms
• Negotiate and draft NDAs, trial agreements, and service agreements in support of SME’s content protection efforts
• Provide in-house legal support to Global Content Protection department including resolving intellectual property disputes, preparing cease and desist letters, and sending takedown notices
• Assist SME’s Legal department and law enforcement agencies in the collection and preparation of evidence in connection with potential civil and criminal actions
• Coordinate and communicate with industry trade organizations in the development and execution of online and physical anti-piracy programs
• Develop and maintain relationships with third-party content protection vendors/service providers
• Develop KPIs to evaluate and measure the efficacy of SME’s enforcement initiatives
• Advise senior executive team and stakeholders on matters concerning content protection
• Must possess Juris Doctor degree from an accredited institution
• Minimum of 1-2 years direct or equivalent experience working in content protection, intellectual property or patent-related fields
• Aptitude for technology and functional understanding of at least one programming language is a plus
• Must display strong judgement and ability to interact in a collaborative spirit
• Proficiency in legal writing and legal research
• Familiarity with content identification technologies, digital fingerprinting, and digital watermarking is a plus
• Familiarity with social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter) and User-Generated Content (UGC) platforms (e.g., YouTube, SoundCloud) is a plus
• Highly responsive, including capacity to handle urgent requests outside regular working hours
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)