Director Of Engineering
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Sony Music Entertainment is undergoing a huge transformation driven by Data, Analytics, and Cognitive technologies. We have created a new team, lead by our CDO, focused on advancing Sony Music’s data strategy & capabilities around the world.
Using data-centric strategies, with design and technology principles in mind, we are developing products, tools, apps, and more that deliver actionable insights that help shape strategic thinking and drive business solutions for our labels. The teams goals are to:
• Provide business intelligence and technology solutions for use across the company’s labels and business units
• Create predictive tools and analytics platforms to enhance Sony Music’s capabilities in artist and partner discovery, solutions, commercial strategy, marketing, and A&R
• Enhance service to Sony Music’s artists and business partners
• Grow commercial opportunities
Sony Music Entertainment is looking for a Director of Engineering to help lead our development teams.
As Director of Engineering, you'll be responsible for building out an Engineering team which supports multiple lines of our core business, managing the development process, and defining our technical infrastructure. Your impressive skills as a technologist will allow you to own the Engineering Roadmap, architect scalable applications, as well as lead the charge on automation and continuous integration. You'll get the opportunity to get your hands dirty while also managing and mentoring individuals on the Engineering team. You are well respected for your technical skills, but take even more pride in the accomplishments and growth of the team. An ideal candidate for this role is someone who thrives in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and is able to balance solutions that are elegant and scalable, yet simple and pragmatic. You embrace the value of shipping rather than over-engineering.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
• Build, lead and inspire an agile team of software engineers.
• Drive the technology strategy and architecture goals for your engineering team.
• Work closely with senior management and your engineering team to define the team’s goals and roadmap.
• Partner with a Product Manager and stakeholders to define projects and high-level scope. Work with engineering team to bring each project from conception to production.
• Function as mediator and primary point of contact for your engineering team to ensure smooth transitions and eliminate unnecessary interruptions.
• Hands on contribution: writing code and helping your team reach their deliverables in our diverse, microservice driven architecture.
• Use your vast technical experience to provide elegant solutions for problems such as event-based streaming of data to and from clients, pragmatic upgrades for legacy solutions, and more.
• 10 years of leadership experience combined with 8 years of experience as a software engineer.
• Solid understanding of modern architecture.
• Experience building modular, event-driven systems.
• Passion for shipping daily and iterating.
• Experience working with cloud-based technologies (Google or AWS). Interest in DevOps, containerization and automation.
• Hands on engineering experience, ideally with Python, MySQL and NoSQL data stores, and more.
• Passion for using technology to elegantly solve business problems.
• Experience interacting with stakeholders and ability to explain and “sell” technical concepts to technical and non-technical people.
• Familiarity with React Native a huge plus.